PDA

View Full Version : Furniture delivered yesterday - a few questions

sbbiomed
07-03-2003, 09:11 AM
My wife and I had the furniture delivered yesterday and there was some defects in the furniture. What do I do?

We bought the Pali Paula and the 7000 series double dresser and noticed a little problem with each. I don't know if it is worth complaining about. The double dresser looks like it has a very small knot on the top surface that is raised a little bit, so the top is not completely flat (It is small, but I noticed it right away). Also the lowest drawer looks like two small gouges in the wood which shows a natural color underneath (small like tines of a fork). The crib looks like it has small dents in the wood at some places and two cracks in the wood on the thick cross bar on one end. They are not cracks that go through, but cracks that are noticed visually.

None of these defects will reduce the strength of the pieces, but when you spend $1300 from a manufacturer, you want the pieces to be perfect (I kind of wish there was major damage, so I could be sure of returning the parts).

We are due in a little over two weeks and do I fight to get perfect pieces or live with some defects in the furniture. Basically, is it worth the fight. Has anyone had similar experiences with furniture with small defects. What did you do?

Thank you,

Steven
7-20-03 and I can't wait

kathsmom
07-03-2003, 09:26 AM
Steven,

I think it's only fair to get non-damaged pieces, especially at the prices you paid! I have no experience with this, but I do know that some people who have had damaged furniture first contact the store where they bought it from. The store will then tell you if they can handle it or if you have to take it up with the crib/dresser manufacturer.

If you look under the Bitching Post, there were some posts about people being unhappy with USA Baby, and they had received damaged furniture. One customer even received the wrong crib! She was allowed to use that crib since it was so close to her due date until the new crib arrived.

Good luck and I hope this helps some!

peanut4us
07-03-2003, 12:43 PM
Absolutely it is worth the fight! For that kind of money, you should have pretty darn near to perfection.

I think you will find the knot annoying after a while. What if it right where you set something that can spill?

Go get em.

sbbiomed
07-03-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks for your help. We feel the same way that it should be almost perfect. We are calling the furniture store to get new pieces. We will see what they say.

One thing that blows my mind also is that there is a tag on the inside of the crib that says the Paula crib was manufactured in 1998. I can't believe they store the crib parts so long and if they have had it, why does it take 12 weeks to get delivered. I thought they were made when you order the piece.

Anyway

Happy 4th everyone.

Steven
7/20/03 and can't wait

mommy2be
07-03-2003, 09:50 PM
We recieved our Pali Carmen crib a few weeks ago and when my husband put it together he noticed a very large scratch as well as some finish issues.

I called our dealer the next day and expalined the problem- they requested that we bring the crib in and they would order a new one with no questions asked. Because we live 2+ hours away and Pali items can take 6+ weeks to special order I said I wouldn't bring the defective crib back until the new crib was in (didn't want to be stuck with NO crib!).

Result: Dealer re-ordered crib and will call when it is in for pick up AND he doesn't even want the old crib back!

Pali items are very expensive and I would NOT be satisfied with defective furniture! You are paying top dollar for what should be a top dollar product. I was extremely surprised with how easy my issues were resolved- hopefully you will have the same experience.

Good luck with your furniture and your new baby!!