PDA

View Full Version : where to find simple wooden table & chair set

simplemama
07-09-2003, 11:30 AM
i'm looking for a toddler-size table-and-chair set. what i want is the kind that public libraries have -- really simple, sturdy table and chairs that are stained but not painted. if public libraries have them, they must not be really expensive, don't you think?

i've looked in catalogues and also went to toys-r-us, but they're all too decorative, too much color (i don't want any color, not even white), or very cheap-looking plastic ones. pottery barn's set is too big for my 18mo. old, and plus, too darn expensive.

does anyone know where to find what i'm looking for?

votre_ami03
07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Do you have a Michael's (craft store)? I found a set there, 2 chairs & a table, I think it retails for $45 or so. It is plain, unfinished wood, you have to put it together & stain it or just clear coat it. A friend has it for her twin's, 3 yo. If you are patient, you can use a 40% of coupon when they come out. Joann's also may have something similar.

Christy
EDD - 7/26
Boy! Nolan

slknight
07-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Here's a site that has a lot of simple stuff. I've never ordered from them so I don't know about customer service.

http://www.ecmdstore.com

You can also do an internet search on school furniture or something similar and come up with some other sites.

sdjeppa
07-09-2003, 02:09 PM
I bought one at Ikea - very simple table and 2 chairs. They just had them on sale for $9.95 a piece, but I think normal price is about $20 a piece. They seemed very sturdy. They had several different kinds too.

sugarsnappea
07-09-2003, 05:04 PM
There is one in the new Ikea catalog- might be the same one in above post. It is called SVALA children's furniture suite, solid birch for you to paint or stain. 1 table and 2 chairs included $29.95. I am thinking of ordering this myself. :)

nohomama
07-10-2003, 11:49 AM
When we recently visited friends in Baltimore we went to the Ikea store there. We ended up buying the very table and chair set mentioned above for $20 on sale. Even with the cost of shipping it via U.P.S back to MA, it was cheaper and much more attractive than anything else I've found. Be aware though that if you don't have an Ikea store near you, it may not be worth it to pursue. Ikea's shipping is VERY steep. I've ordered several things from them in the past and paid more in shipping than the item itself cost. In all those instances it was still cost effective but with this fairly heavy item, that may not be the case.

sugarsnappea
07-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the tip! I had no idea about their shipping costs. It looks like I will have to drive to Canada to get mine. Was it in a flat box? I have a smaller car and am wondering if it's worth the effort...

thanks!

nohomama
07-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Yes, it's packaged in a flat box. It measures 24"x32"x4" and weighs 24 lbs.. Can you tell it's still sitting in my front hall waiting to be unpacked, stained, urathaned, and assembled? I'll get to it one of these days.

Before you drive up to Canada, give Ikea a call and check out how much it would be to ship. It may be worth the added expense to have the convenience of it being delivered to your door. If not, see if they can tell you what the price is in Canadian dollars. The USD is pretty weak right now and that might also effect whether or not it's worth it to make the trek to the store.

sugarsnappea
07-11-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks again, I called to get the S/H price. It was $29.95, the same price as the suite. Customer service told me that sales are store specific. I think I may try calling some stores to see if I can get the sale price and have it shipped directly. Or perhaps, DH will take me to Toronto for the weekend! :)

sdjeppa
07-11-2003, 11:57 AM
BTW, at our Ikea here in San Diego, the sale ended last sunday, so it may not be on sale anymore. And mine I think has some type of finish on it, a clear coat of some kind at least (mine is still in a box too, until the nursery gets painted!)

josephsmom
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
I don't know if you've already decided on the IKEA set, but here is a nice-looking set from BRU. Sorry I wasn't able to copy and paste the picture, but this info should help you find it on their website. I also saw a nice set in the Sensational Beginnings catalog. I think it was about $50 more than this set. Let us know what you decide and how you like it! I'll be in the market soon myself.

Aspen Table and Chair Set - Natural
by Kidkraft

Price: $99.99

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours

Offered by: Babiesrus.com
Special Offer: Buy any crib or furniture combination totaling more than $400.00 and receive a $59.99 mattress free, or receive up to $59.99 off the purchase of a mattress. To redeem this offer, enter promotional code 908473 at checkout. See details.

See larger picture

Manufacturer's age: 3 years and up
Our recommended age: 3 - 6 years
More age info
Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the contiguous U.S.
Box Size (in inches): 28.5 x 5.0 x 26.0
Shipping weight: 33.54 pounds.
Shipping Advisory: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. A separate shipping charge will also apply.
Note: Giftwrapping not available for this item.
ASIN: B00005U2DO
SKN: 379471
Rate this item to get personal recommendations.

Helene
mommy to Joseph 12/29/01