PDA

View Full Version : Softer Crib Mattress

jennifer1143
07-14-2003, 10:12 AM
I purchased a Colgate Classica I mattress & now that the baby's here he won't sleep on it. It just seems too hard. Does anyone have a recommendation on a softer mattress & where to buy it online? Thanks very much.

Jennifer

bina
12-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Hi, we have decided to retire the Classica III mattress we bought, and are looking for something softer for our little one. She's ten months old, and changing the sheets is not an issue, since we have the ult crib sheet. We would like coil this time. So we are wondering if choosing something softer is safe at 10 months? Also, she's almost 30 inches tall already! At 35 inches, we'll have to convert the crib into a toddler bed. For future reference, is this the norm: 35 inches for using a crib? Thanks.

HallsofVA
12-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Since the Classica III is double sided (one hard, one soft side), I was just wondering if the soft side was still too hard? I have a Classica III on order, so I'm just curious.

vikivoly
12-06-2003, 02:20 AM
I have the Classica III and the soft side is still hard. It is actually difficult to tell the difference between the two sides.

colgate
12-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi, Jennifer. Congratulations on your new baby! We are Colgate, the manufacturer of your crib mattress. We feel an obligation to you, other parents and, to all the babies of all the readers to respond to your posting.

We are sorry you are unhappy with your crib mattress - you shouldn't be. The Colgate Classica I and Classica III mattresses are excellent quality mattresses and, both are very good for baby.

The second biggest mistake that many new parents make is that they feel they should buy a crib mattress that feels comfortable to them, the parents. This is wrong. Most medical experts agree that infants should be placed on as firm a mattress as the parent feels comfortable putting their baby on. The firmer the mattress, the better for baby. A good quality crib mattress will actually be more firm than any adult would want to spend even one night upon.

A new baby has just come from a watery hammock where they have had no back support whatsoever. Their bones are softer and growing faster than at any other times of their lives. They need more support than us adults. You don't want a mattress that will conform to baby's back. While your baby's bones are soft and growing fast, you want your baby's back to conform to a straight mattress surface.

Infants can adjust to sleeping anywhere. How many times have you seen a sleeping baby being carried by the parent, pressed against the chest and, their heads resting on the parent's bony collarbone or shoulder? When a baby doesn't fall asleep quickly it is usually for some reason such as: they aren't sleepy, they don't want their parent to leave them or, they are used to co-sleeping and don't want to be left alone (co-sleeping is not good - the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and the Consumer Product Safety Commission strongly recommend AGAINST co-sleeping). Don't worry, your baby will become used to sleeping on the mattress. It just may take a little time.

Sorry to be so long-winded but, it is difficult to make a point in a short sentence or two. We don't want to abuse this excellent forum that the Fields' have provided. All mattress questions are answered promptly at the Colgate website, www.colgatekids.com.

Rest assured that the mattress you have is one of the best quality foam mattresses and, one of the best crib mattresses for baby.

P.S. to Classica III purchasers: you can really tell the difference in the varying firmnesses of each side of the mattress if you lay the mattress on the floor and press the flat of your hand into the center of the mattress. Turn it over and do it again. Squeezing a mattress won't let you feel the varying firmnesses of the two sides of the Classica III.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond. Hope this helped put your mind at ease a little (and saved you and others money).

kransden
12-11-2003, 10:06 AM
This might not be an issue for you, but the temperature change was a big deal (and lots of others things lol!) for my baby. Going from Mom's warm arms to a cold bed just didn't work. We wound up using a polar fleece pad (homemade gift) and that helped a lot with naps. It added just enough warmth and softness. We co-sleep at night.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02