PDA

View Full Version : recliner instead of glider?

denvergal
07-16-2003, 12:07 PM
i've spent the last few months looking at gliders and no matter how much i try to like them i just can't. i don't like the look of them and i just can't justify spending so much on something i don't like. i really want something that reclines since we don't have a bed in the nursery, i can see how a chair that reclines could be really convenient when i'm just too tired to go back to the bedroom. i didn't like the gliders that recline because it just didn't recline smoothly.

so, i've finally decided to go for a rocker recliner (one of those leather lazy boy chairs). i plan on using it with one of those medela nursing stools but i'm not sure if the height of the recliner is too tall for this. does anyone else out there use a rocker recliner instead of a glider? do i even need the stool? what has your experience been? any feedback would be really helpful!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Downstairs, I nurse in a recliner. It is a chair-and-a-half that reclines into a chaise. When I nurse, I just put the foot part out and don't recline the back. I tuck one leg up under me to lift the Boppy high enough to nurse. When she was a newborn, it was the most comfortable place to nurse her.

I did most of my labor in that chair too, it is perfect for tailor-sitting. She was almost born there!

In her room, I nurse in my reclining Dutalier glider. I don't usually recline it to nurse because then my breasts would be too far back, if that makes sense.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

farsk
07-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi!

I could have written your post! We ended up with a rocker recliner and the Medela nursing stool. Although DD isn't here....yet....I love it anyway! I'm 5'4" and love it and my husband is 6'2" and he loves it. GET THE STOOL. It will save your back, plus it just makes it more comfortable.

Good Luck!
-Shannon
Mom to Ellen (edd 7/28/2003)

Karenn
07-16-2003, 03:32 PM
I got a recliner instead of a glider and I am SO happy with my choice! The recliner was a lifesaver when Colin wasn't sleeping well! I would get a nursing stool. I didn't have one, but I often kept a little box under my feet that was about nursing stool height.

I have to add, the one thing I have not been happy with is the way that my recliner is holding up. It's just over 1 year old and there is already a hole in the chair- and it's not the kind of hole that comes from lots of use (though this chair has been well used!), it's the kind that comes from poor workmanship. Also, the stuffing has shifted around more than I think it should. The one I have is manufactured by Lane. I think next time around I would go with a different brand. However, if Lane were the only recliner manufacturer in the world, I would put up with poor workmanship just to have my recliner! :)

sbaker
07-16-2003, 04:19 PM
I bought a leather La-Z-Boy recliner to nurse DS in. I was very glad that I did. Leather is SO much easier clean if your baby spits up. Also I purposely didn't coordinate the chair to match the nursery. I coordinated it with our living room furniture. After about a week of nursing DS in his room the chair was moved into our living room. I was much more relaxed nursing there.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

denvergal
07-16-2003, 04:22 PM
thank you all so much for your input! i thought i was the only one who didn't like those gliders. i'm thrilled that recliners will work just as well if not better for nursing. i'm gonna go out and see if i can order one tonight! thanks again!!!

berob
07-17-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm assuming from your post that it is the look of the gliders you don't like, not the motion. If that is the case, check out the gliders by Little Castle Inc. -
http://www.littlecastleinc.com/adult_product.htm
http://www.littlecastleinc.com
Don't get too hung up the fabrics pictured at the site or the pleats at the bottom - you can get anything. We ordered one in an adorable fabric that matches the awning that will go over the windows in our nursery. We love it because it doesn't look like a glider and should work in other rooms in the house for years to come. Before we bought this glider, I posted on this message board about it (search for Little Castle) and got favorable feedback. We are buying from a local store, but someone replied to my earlier post that they bought one at BuyBuyBaby. Good luck.

memedee
07-17-2003, 08:06 PM
LOVE this chair!!

lyn_704
07-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Hi there. Check out the Dutailier line of upholstered gliders. I think that you might like them and the price too. Lynn.
www.rockingchairstore.com/standardbabyglide.html

kransden
07-18-2003, 08:58 AM
I use both. The daycare has a rocker recliner and I have a glider at home. Go with what makes you happy. DD is all about movement, so the glider is a little better choice for me. If your child turns out that way, you can always get an inexpensive glider later from a resale shop and then resell it.

Karin
Katie 10/24/02