PDA

View Full Version : CANALLI vs. PALI ??--NEED some Input

eaglesmaniac
07-20-2003, 06:56 AM
My wife and I were all set to buy a the Pali Dauphine Armoire, Changing table and the rosalia crib but...then we came across a store Crib and Teen City they carry Canalli. The cribs seem like high quality but the case goods are a few notches below Pali. They are constructed well but the finish is not as good as Pali.

So here's my dilema the Canalli is about $1000.00 less for the three pieces? Am I crazy for still considering the PALI? Should I go with Canalli and put the $1000.00 to good use? Has anyone heard anything about Canalli case goods?

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you

kathsmom
07-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Hi, eaglesmaniac!

I don't personally have any experience with either brand you mentioned. I did look up the Canalli furniture on the web and compared it to the pictures of the Pali furniture that you are interested in. I agree, just looking at the pictures, the Pali case pieces seem to look nicer. But for my family and my situation, I couldn't pay $1,000 more for the Pali no matter how much I liked it. With both our children, we really penny-pinched, because we just were not in a situation to buy the crib and case pieces.

For DD, my FIL bought her crib for us - a Delta Luv crib (I know that they are not recommended, but we didn't know about the Baby Bargains Book at the time!!). We used a chest of drawers that had belonged to DH. He stripped it and painted it white to match the crib. We just used my white book case from grad school. The only major purchase we made, other than the crib (which was only 150.00), was the glider rocker (it's not a Dutalier or a Shermag. I think it's a no-name rocker).

For DS, who came along 6 years after DD, we just re-used the crib, glider rocker, and chest of drawers. We bought a changing table as well since we are older and our backs hurt!LOL! We were looking for a white one to match the furniture, but we found a floor sample in perfect condition in a natural colored wood, so we bought it.

FWIW, my SIL's mom gave my niece bedroom furniture one year for Christmas. My SIL got to pick out whatever she wanted (within reason). She chose a very nice/high quality headboard and dresser/mirror. She said that she should have just bought a cheap dresser or chest of drawers from Target, because the nice dresser has some scratches and is getting a little banged up in spots due to my niece's playing. The headboard seems to be doing OK though since it is protected by the bed.

I know that I wasn't any help on the brands you were interested in, but I just wanted to share with you what we did to save money. Good luck with your search!

joestein
07-24-2003, 09:18 AM
Check out Lion Tot 'n Teen in Rahway, NJ, they are much cheaper. See my post in pali crib and dressers, the high prices I posted were from crib and teen city.

ohbaby
07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Input:
I was recently informed by a well trusted source that Canalli may have been dropped by its manufacturer of cribs! I am looking for furn for baby #2, and I am going to buy a second set of pali. It has been beautiful and held up well.
good luck!

eaglesmaniac
07-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I think we are going with Pali(99.9% sure). It's much better quality. The drawers are 6" deeper. The hardware is better and the appearance is nicer.

That's strange that Canalli is being dropped. I wonder why?

gravymommy3
07-28-2003, 08:40 PM
I know you did not ask about this brand, but it is what I have experience with. We bought a Ragazzi for our daughter back in 98. It is a very well-made crib and very easy to assemble and disassemble. The case goods are also very nice. Just something else to think about. Good luck.

mikeage
07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
We ordered a Canalli from Crib and Teen City (the one on Route 22-- sold by a guy named Ken). It was really inexpensive ($299), with all the features we wanted, solid construction, hidden hardware, etc. HOWEVER-- shipping from Italy took longer than promised (9 weeks vs 4-6), and then, when I arrived to pick it up, they told us it was never shipped!! The guy gave us a Desiree (sp?) by Pali, which is basically the same thing, but more expensive, plus the entire crib rocks if you take off the wheels-- it's a great crib, also!

foxylady
12-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Btw, Canalli furniture does not exist. They buy their furniture from Munire Furniture. http//:www.munirefurniture.com

Crib and Teen City is owned and operated by Mr. Ed Kloss and can be reached at 973-247-7200, ext. 10. He seemed to be the only person who could resolve my delivery problem. Unfortunately, even he failed and said "if I was not happy I could contact my attorney or he would refund all of my money". This doesn't solve the problem of my not having a crib for my infant who is now 3 months old. P.S. I ordered the furniture while I was only in my fourth month of pregnancy. The sales people at the Marlton store, especially the old store manager - Jim something told me one lie after another.

Even though the furniture and pricing may look good at first, the aggravation and non-delivery makes going elsewhere the only option. Just to steer you in the right direction, I am looking at my daughter's beautiful furniture just delivered (within three weeks) from USA BABY. Hope there is one near you.

ga snyder
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
I know nothing about Canalli but I LOVE my Pali Renee crib. It's great quality and absolutely beautiful! Plus it's much more sturdy than other cribs I saw. I just paired it with a dresser I already had which I converted to a changing table by putting a changing pad on top. You can always put a Pali crib with another manufacturer's furniture depending on the color you get (cherry, white or natural should be pretty easy to match). Just a thought.