PDA

View Full Version : Crib Mobiles Necessary?

scubagear
07-23-2003, 02:49 PM
Getting my nursery ready, I'm trying to decide if a mobile is a necessry item. I thought I remembered reading somewhere to skip it, but now I can't seem to find that article/post again.

Any input??

Thanks!

mharling
07-23-2003, 02:54 PM
I think this is the thread you're looking for:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/448.html

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3237413c427 - New 6/18

peanut4us
07-23-2003, 08:25 PM
I would definately skip it. We've used it only a handful of times because usually DD wants to be out of her crib if she's awake.

Edited to say: I should qualify this with the fact that it is just bunnies that go round. We got it as a shower gift, and even I thought it was boring. Who knows, maybe Sara would have been more into it if she had the Tiny Love one?!

What she really likes is the Sassy crib mirror thing. It's got a little blue/purple bird thing that has a bell on it that she loves to swat at (now she's practicing balancing it in her hand). It's great for me because often times in the morning I hear the jingling before I hear her. She's up and just playing quietly. It's a much nicer way of joining the day.

StaceyKim
07-23-2003, 09:04 PM
My DS was never really into it. He gets bored of it after about a minute. I guess it depends on the kid though.

flagger
07-23-2003, 09:42 PM
Now that she can see it, we love it. It gives me time for a shower every morning after our walk.

She rarely goes to sleep watching it, and has just now started to "talk" to the animals on it.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-23-2003, 10:41 PM
The mobile was the first thing that caught her attention, almost from day one. She watches it go around and really seems to enjoy it. When we go away from home, she really seems glad to see her mobile again when we get home.

I would rate the mobile as a must have for us. Mostly because of the enjoyment she gets out of it while she is being changed or laying in her crib. It was the first thing that made her seem like a "real person" because she was obviously affected by it and enjoyed it, even when she was a helpless newborn.

We have a Symphony in Motion by Tiny Love, the one with the shapes.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

August Mom
07-23-2003, 10:51 PM
There are very few things for a baby that are really *necessary* but I found our Symphony in Motion Mobile (with animals) invaluable for a couple of months in there. At first, DS wasn't really into it. But, at around 6 weeks or so, it was like magic. He would be fussy and I would turn on the mobile and he would instantly calm down and watch the mobile. Granted, he wasn't always in his crib on his back while doing this. Sometimes, we'd stand outside the crib and watch the mobile go around. The nice thing about the Symphony in Motion is that is looks interesting from underneath and from straight on. A mobile isn't an essential item, but I was sure glad I had it when it put DS back to sleep in the middle of the night.

lalamama
07-24-2003, 12:39 AM
My son who is 3 never got into his mobile. It had teddybears on it and we had to wind it up and it only ran for about 30 seconds.
This time around I decided to get the Tiny Love Symphonies in Motion and my daughter (4 mos) really enjoys it. The great thing about it is that it is battery operated and runs for 15 minutes before turning off. It really helps when I need to attend to Josh and have to put Natalie down in her crib for a few minutes. I, too, have had the good fortune of the mobile putting Natalie to sleep in the middle of the night.

TraciG
07-24-2003, 12:40 PM
there are 2 which one do u have ?? One has animale & a romote control the other has geometrical shapes. Alsowhat if it doesn't match the crib set, I picked out a teddybear set & the mobile is so cute but i'm wondering if it's better to get one of these , suggestions please !!!!!!!!

Also can mobiles go on the pack n play's ??????

Vajrastorm
07-24-2003, 01:15 PM
I registered for the Tiny Love Mobile, and nope it doesn't match my bedding but if the baby likes it I could care less about color-coordination. I still have a few months before my baby even gets here, but I wanted a mobile FOR the baby, not me kwim?

TraciG
07-24-2003, 04:04 PM
there are 2 Symphony in Motion mobiles by Tiny Love, I checked on Babies R us website, I'm trying to find out which one is better.

I'm due 11-18 03

stillplayswithbarbies
07-24-2003, 05:45 PM
I don't think either one is "better", just pick the one you like. We have the shapes.

Definitely get the one with the remote control. Ours does not have it and I wish it did.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hwin708
07-24-2003, 07:33 PM
I agree with the above poster. Babies seem to like both the animals and the shapes. The remote isn't essential, but its a geat feautre, IMO. It allows you to start the music back up without alerting baby to your presence, which often makes her want out of her crib.
I too found that my first child didn't care about her mobile, which matched her bedding, but my friends' children all LOVE their Symphony in Motion. I think it still looks cute,even though it doesn't match the bedding, because it looks appropriate in a baby's room, with the bright playful colors.
HTH!

pastaff65
07-25-2003, 09:46 AM
I did not want one but dh insisted on getting one, he picked out one called funny faces, simple wind up with caricture like animals and ds loves it. He won't sleep in his crib yet but if I need to get in the shower or get something done quickly in the house, I can lay him down and turn this on and it keeps his attention. Patty

KMommie
07-25-2003, 11:41 AM
DD loves her Symphony In Motion (Animals---I really, really wanted the Shapes but couldn't find it when I was shopping). It's great to have a safe place to put her down in, and I'm guaranteed 15-20 minutes of time to do whatever. The music seems to overstimulate her, she enjoys just looking at it, DH doesn't understand this, and insists on having the music on to "make it interesting". We have the remote, but hardly ever use it.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

MartiesMom2B
07-26-2003, 07:03 AM
I just want to say that I did end up going out and buying the Tiny Love mobile. DD's theme is a garden them and we had hung up a butterfly up above crib, and thought that would be enough. Well we noticed that she loved staring at her ducky mobile on her Rubber ducky swing so I attached a portable mobile from Sassy onto the butterfly. She was only interested in it when it moved around - so I did cave in. I must say that we use it for her to look at when she goes to sleep and she loves it.

In my album you can see her staring into it: http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b322de6ae447&notag=1

So long story short: I probably would hold off if I were you and wait to see if your child is interested in looking at things moving around. I returned items that I thought I would need and used a BRU coupon to make the mobile practically free.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

lalamama
07-28-2003, 01:11 PM
I have the one with the animals and shapes but no remote control.
Even though it doesn't match her crib set, it still looks cute in her room and adds a splash of color. I don't think they can attach to a pack n play, though I am not positive on that one.

vikivoly
07-28-2003, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't call it a neccessity, but I wouldn't want to do without it. My DD is 8 months old and she still likes it. If you want to skip the mobile, you could get something like the Ocean Wonders Aquarium for the crib.