PDA

View Full Version : Kolcraft High density foam from Target ($30)

Grace_underfire
07-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Does anybody have this? Let me know if you are happy with it.
We got the Sealy (59.99) from Babies R US but I don't know if I like it or not. It does not seem firm enough to me in the middle.

Looking for other alternatives... I might end up dishing the extra $ for the colgate Classica.

first_time mum
07-31-2003, 11:46 AM
We bought the kolcraft extra heavy density foam mattress that you are talking about since we read about it in the BB book..of course, we don't have the baby yet, so cannot say how well it suits the baby. But we are happy with it. Its dimensions are excatly the same as colgate classica. In terms of firmness, my husband feels may be it is slightly less firm than classica...I am not sure since he initially felt that it is of the same firmness...so it must be comparable overall. We are happy with it.

HTH.

-SP

essnce629
08-01-2003, 03:06 AM
I also have this mattress. I just got it about 2 weeks ago after seeing it in Target and comparing it to the spring mattresses they had there. It actually felt a lot firmer than the spring mattresses and of course it is way lighter! I am still pregnant (just a few more weeks :)) so I haven't been able to use it yet. It is set up in my crib though and it fits perfectly. I think it will work just fine and for the price, it can't be beat. I might even get another one soon since I am getting a second crib from a friend for my apartment (the first crib will stay at my mom's house) and although she is also giving me a mattress, I assume it is a heavy spring type.

***Latia
Edd 8/30/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel

dotgirl
08-04-2003, 06:10 PM
We bought after doing a lot of research on it. Unfortunately, I'm not due for another 3 months, so we haven't had a chance to use it yet. (However, I've tried out our crib sheets on it and they fit perfectly, and the mattress fits perfectly in the crib.)

lums123
08-10-2003, 05:13 AM
We got a Kolcraft foam mattress from Target, but not for our baby to sleep on. We ended up getting a cheapo crib for diaper changes! (Works WAY better than a changing table, and we don't have a lot of space, but the sacrifice was worth it!)

Our baby sleeps on an expensive Colgate mattress. Here's what I think of both:

The Colgate is a real mattress. The coils make it really heavy, though, so my husband has to do the bedding changes, and I'm no 30-pound weakling. On the flip side, that heaviness helps pin down the sheets, so in a way it adds to safety -- it would be really hard for a baby to pull up a sheet from a corner of this mattress. Of course, you'd have to buy the safer, bigger sheets anyway because this is such a big mattress. I think it's kind of hard for sleeping on, but we've worked out how to lay our son on his side so it doesn't bother him that much.

The Target mattress is really easy to clean and change. It's thinner and less bulky than the Colgate. It's not as solid, so maybe it's softer, but when a heavy child sinks into it, the sides pull up some. Unfortunately, the sheets just slip off so easily, even without lifting the mattress, which I could see as a hazard for an active, strong baby who could easily tug off a sheet. It squeaks and creaks the way those kinds of plastic-covered foam mattresses do -- it's kind of noisy for light sleepers, though like I said, my child doesn't sleep on this one! It's so easy to wipe off, it's great for a "changing crib".

TracyBee
08-13-2003, 01:50 PM
We have both the Colgate Classica I (for home) and the Kolcraft for Grandma and Grandpa's house.

They are both very nice matresses, but I do prefer the Colgate, it is a little firmer than the Kolcraft. But at $29.99 the Kolcraft is a great buy and a very nice mattress as well.

If price is not an issue go with the Colgate, if you need to save $60.00 you will also be happy with the Kolcraft.