PDA

View Full Version : Cradle/ Bassinet

HeatherW
07-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Does anyone have any advice about cradles/bassinets...I am looking for a wooden one to keep in my room when we bring the baby home. Thanks.

petersmom
07-31-2003, 10:01 PM
I just saw some in the JCPENNY catalog about $149.99. I actually used a craddle that looks similar to these. I loved it with DS and will be put to use again within 4 months for DD. Good Luck.
Petersmom

jd11365
08-02-2003, 03:50 PM
IMHO...I would get a bassinet...by the time you buy the mattress, bumper, sheets, yada yada yada for the cradle, you've spent a fortune...and it doesn't roll from room to room. If I had it to do over I would definitely get a bassinet...it already comes with everything you need, is moveable and is much cheaper.

memedee
08-07-2003, 11:17 AM
I love the bassinet at Pottery Barn
It comes with the bedding. and the top comes off and can be a moses basket

spence1
08-08-2003, 07:16 AM
There's a great wicker bassinet made by J. Mason that I used. I found my at Buy Buy Baby. It comes with a nice bumper, mattress, etc. It's on wheels and the top can come off. They told me you can get a glass made to fit the base and turn it into a rolling cart-type table. I'd love to know if anyone's ever done that! LOL Anyone, I saw one just like it at a fancy store for over $500 but this one was around $180 or so.

csa12
08-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Hi Heather -

I have a great wooden cradle made by Sorelle that I bought from USA Baby for about $119. The great thing about it is that it has locking wheels, fits through doorways, and is longer than most bassinets, so you may get more use out of it. I used mine for 4-5 months until my DS started rolling over.

Also I did not spend a fortune on bedding. You can find inexpensive sheets for $6 and my bumper was less than $20. True, there are more expensive choices but it's not a given that you will be wasting your money if you get one. I am using it now to hold toys until baby #2 comes.

Edited to say: my cradle came with a mattress too.

HTH,
Cheryl

mspacman
08-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Check out consignment and second hand stores, especially in upscale areas. The stores I go to usually have several cradles and bassinets selling for a fraction of original cost, and they're usually in excellent condition because they're used for such a short time.

I bought a Badger jumbo white wicker bassinet for only $25 at a secondhand store. It has large wooden wheels and I've seen it selling online for over $300! The wheels were a little chipped, but white spray paint made them look brand new. The jumbo size allowed us to put off the crib till my daughter was almost 6 months old.

Sue and Boo
10-31-2001

TraciG
08-21-2003, 05:38 PM
or u can use a pack N play, that's what i'm doing.

good luck whatever u decide :):):)

Bearhut
08-23-2003, 05:52 PM
We also have the Sorelle Standa cradle. We found it for $130 at a boutique and it comes with the mattress. For less than $40 we picked up 2 sheets and a bumper.

Originally I was looking at the Pottery Barn bassinet, but was concerned about storing it between children. Actually, I really wanted a cradle, but was also concerned about cost (assuming they were significantly more expensive). After pricing the cradles and finding that they were actually less money than the PB Bassinet there was no question that we were getting one. We love it and can't wait for our little bundle to arrive.

Hope this helps......Good Luck

HeatherN