PDA

View Full Version : Crib shopping in Boston

momentofclarity
08-11-2003, 07:34 AM
Hi all,
I'm shopping for a crib in the Boston area. I've been to BRU in Braintree, Boston Baby in Newton, and the Baby Place in Natick that's on Route 9. So far, I've found that the boutiques are really expensive and don't carry Child Craft (a few Legacy models, but that's it) and BRU is too cheap and doesn't carry much Child Craft (the convertible for $500, but that's it).

Help! Where else does one shop for cribs in the Boston area? Should I go to the Boston Baby store in Danvers? Does it have more selection? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Lucy

Krista
08-11-2003, 08:23 AM
We just bought a crib over the weekend from a Baby Furniture Warehouse in Reading. They had a lot of Ragazzi, Sorelle, Alta Baby in stock in various finishes and good prices too. I found out about them in the Baby Bargains. They have a Braintree location as well, but I have not visited that one. It is supposed to be smaller than the Reading location.
I got an Alta Baby for $299 in white. I think it was a pretty good deal.

elvisfan
08-11-2003, 09:09 AM
have you considerd traveling to tax free NH? I believe that Tiny Totland in manchester and portsmouth sells high end cribs.

kfcboston
08-11-2003, 09:36 AM
We bought our crib and dresser at the BFW in Braintree and are very happy with it. Too bad we found it sooooo much cheaper at www.simmonsjp.com/closeout a week later!! Doh! BFW was still a good deal though, just not AS good.

coffeemug230
08-11-2003, 11:03 AM
Do you mind telling me about what you paid for the furniture in BFW?? You say a lot cheaper which makes me think just order it from the outlet. However shipping is a lot...

Did you get both the dresser and the crib?

I am also asking because I live in southern RI and drving to Reading MA is quite the hike!

Thanks!!

billysmommy
08-11-2003, 11:59 AM
We bought our childcraft crib at the baby boudoir outlet in New Bedford (it's a childcraft outlet). We got a great crib with drawer for $230. They have the cribs set up in the outlet but don't have many of each kind so if you see the one you want you should go ahead and get it. They also have good deals on sets (crib, dresser, changing table, etc)

kfcboston
08-11-2003, 12:21 PM
I paid about $600 for the combo dresser and the crib together. However, it would have cost me less INCLUDING SHIPPING if I had gotten those two pieces from the Simmons site I mentioned above. I tried to get BFW to match the price but they wouldn't, saying they can't compete with the internet!! We would've returned them and done the internet but long story short, returning them would have been a HUGE hassle considering what went went through to pick them up transportation-wise. But my cousin learned my lesson and ordered from the site and no problems!

HTH!

momentofclarity
08-12-2003, 09:48 AM
I recently had a very nice phone conversation with a salesperson at Baby Boudior in New Bedford. I was pretty impressed with her knowledge of her area. Have people had a good experience with this retailer?

Lucy

dogmom
08-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Lucy, I don't know what you time line is. I just happened to stroll into the Baby Place in Natick and a great Pali crib for $200. They were discontinuing the model or something. I don't know if it is worth calling some of stores in a month and asking if anything is under a certian price there.

divabell
08-12-2003, 01:09 PM
I just got a Sorelle crib at Tiny Totland (the Manchester store) a couple weeks ago. They have a lot of cribs on the floor (also Legacy, Morigeau, Ragazzi, Pali, maybe others too) and I think they try to keep in stock the ones they display. I got the Sorelle Glenda for $320 and after putting a deposit down, they will hold it as long as I need until I can go pick it up. That's much better than the Baby Place, which said it would take 12-14 weeks to get a Sorelle in.

I seem to recall that they had some floor models on sale for good prices. I needed white so it didn't work for me, but you might get lucky.

I'm not sure where you are in the Boston area, but I'm in northwest Metrowest and it takes about 45 minutes to get there. It's really close to the interstate and super easy to find. Totally worth it for tax-free shopping!

--Lori R.
EDD 12/2/03

colleenfs
08-12-2003, 04:31 PM
We got Julia's furniture at Boston Baby in Newton. We were quite pleased with them.

Colleen
Mama to Julia 1-10-02

aezlin
08-13-2003, 03:02 PM
Have you try Baby Furniture Warehouse in Braintree? They carry a lot of Pali, Ragazzi cribs. Quite expensive I'd say.
http://www.babyfurniturewarehouse.com

Good Luck! We got ours at BRU - Simmons Cambridge Collection! Love it! :-)

momentofclarity
08-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Interesting. Might be a good place to shop for a glider if we decide to get one. Thanks for the tip. :)

Jennifer_taddeo
09-01-2003, 03:56 PM
We just started our shopping yesterday and we went to BRU, Baby Depot and Pottery Barn Kids in Framingham/Natick, the Baby Place in Natick/Wellesley and Boston Baby in Newton. I'm planning to go to the place in Reading next weekend.

I just wanted to share how turned off we were by the sales staff at Boston Baby. I'm not due until the end of February, but we want to select and order our furniture soon, just to make sure there are no problems. When a saleswoman approached us at Boston Baby, she looked me up and down and asked when I was due. I told her, and she responded "I thought so - we'll see you in a few months" and walked away! I was floored. We saw a lot of nice sets there, but I'd rather buy it somewhere else, or buy something I didn't like as much.

JDT

marie
09-03-2003, 12:00 PM
DH and I went to Boston Baby in Danvers and a salesperson never even approached us! perhaps they were put off by my note-taking. . .

good luck!