PDA

View Full Version : Solid Wood Nursery Furniture

Vintsack
08-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me where to find (online or catalog preferably) solid wood nursery furniture? Either pine or hardwood so long as there are no man made wood materials used.

Thank You
VS

madelinesmom
08-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Madeline's Mom

I don't know if you would be interested in this but my husband and I had a crib made for our DD. His family had some wood from a Sugar Mill in South Louisiana and when the Sugar Mill was torn down much of the wood was saved. We found a woodworker and he ordered plans for us and I believe there were plans for a cradle, changing table etc. The bed was pretty expensive but what a wonderful treasure.

If you don't know a woodworker in your area usually you can find one from antique dealers or Mom and Pop hardware stores they might have a card up in the store. Also on the interenet you can find plans on your own if you are really gung ho and want to make it yourself.

Good Luck,

Jane

LSC
08-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Try www.goodnightben.com. They claim their cribs on the website (not the Morigeau-Lepine ones) are 100% birch. We're considering buying from them.
Lori

rclasco
08-20-2003, 12:13 PM
My husband does woodworking as a hobby. So, a solid wood crib is what he wanted. He inspected so many cribs. We ended up with Morigeau.

pritchettzoo
08-20-2003, 01:09 PM
We have a Berg crib and nursery furniture. It's solid pine and (we think anyway) beautiful. I can't attest to its longevity yet, but my dad thought it was well-made (he dabbles in carpentry) and our cabinetmaker neighbor did too.

Anna
#1(DD) EDD 9/10/03

papal
08-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Hi,
I don't know too much about wood but we ordered our nursery furniture from ForeverMine.com which advertises itself as making all its stuff from hardwood. Is that what you are looking for?
On their website they say the following:
---
"Forever Mine" Furniture offers perhaps the sturdiest crib on
the market. It easily passes any 2-year-old's "Shake Test".

They will tempt you at retail stores to purchase pine cribs. Consider however the following. Pine cribs are by definition very soft wood. They dent, split and easily nick. You thus can have buyer's regret over within a short time. As pleasing as they look while new in a show room, realize with apartment and home moving, baby banging toys against it, (even chewing it! etc). it will just not possibly retain its showroom look. Pine is a softer wood than hardwood and the American hardwood Association is careful about letting manufacturers claim hardwood when it is not.

Also do not be fooled by imports. Without mentioning names, countries in the far east, European eastern counties, even south America, all, in our opinion, inferior products to real North American Made. (USA and Canada) You might want to seriously consider this quality point in your crib purchasing decision.

Our way to see if the quality is there long term for you is by checking the quality of the hardware on the crib. Is it inexpensive looking? Is there a metal mattress support system? What about the quality of the packaging? Is the outer box the crib comes in cheap or inexpensive? If so, the production inside is probably the same, so buyers should beware. For instance, are the crib parts individually packaged inside the crib box or are they placed on top of each other and just shrink wrapped together. The issue here is quality. A buyer should look for the small things.

For the record…A Forever Mine Furniture shipped directly to your home will be in high-test boxes. Furthermore, we separately package all individual parts within the crib box. We totally assemble the 3 and 4 drawer dresser before shipping. This high cost packaging of Forever Mine Furniture has been proven since 1992.

--
Hope that helps somewhat.

Rashmi (edd 10/19/03)