PDA

View Full Version : Do I NEED a changing table?

momentofclarity
08-16-2003, 06:51 AM
As I've posted before, my partner and I are 5' and 5'5". This is relevant because we have a 28" tall dresser that we could screw a changing pad onto if we wanted. I see that changing tables are typically 32" - 36" high. Do you think we'll be okay with a 28" high changing area, or will our backs hurt? Should we get a changing table?

Seeking advice from other short parents especially!

Lucy

Momof3Labs
08-16-2003, 09:47 AM
I am 5'4" and love having a changing table. Our king sized bed is very tall (probably about the 28" that you mention) and my back hurts when I change Colin on it. But I do fine with the changing table!

You could always try using the dresser and switch to a changing table if it hurts your back.

shawn2k
08-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Boy this is one everyone will differ on! :-) Having two (now 5 and almost 4 years) we decided not to get a changing table. Mainly for purposes of space saving. But after the first arrived, we found out we hated having to go to a designated spot to change the baby. Instead, I got a nice Longaberger style picnic basket and kept the essientials in there. That way I could just pick it up and keep it w/ me from room to room. I used an extra diaper bag changing pad and just did the changing on the floor most times - another plus I didn't have to worry about any falls.

hwin708
08-18-2003, 04:06 AM
I used a dresser as a changing table for my first child. In order to make it a comfortable height (and I am only 5'2) DH screwed thick decorative feet onto the bottom of the dresser. Not only did it give the dresser a nice look, it raised it a few crucial inches.

MinnieMouse
08-18-2003, 01:43 PM
We got a RumbleTuff dresser for dd's nursery upstairs w/ the attachable changing pad. It was great and still is. I tried the basket of diaper stuff for downstairs and both dh and I HATED it. I wasn't comfy changing dd on the couch...fearing she would roll off, etc. and changing her on the floor was a huge pain in the BACK!

When dd was 6wks old I went to a local consignment store and bought a wooden Jenny Lind style changing table and put it in the living room. It has been a lifesaver. Dd turned 2yo last month and we STILL use both changing tables every day. The one in the living room is not only convenient for during the daytime, it also has two shelves underneath it that we store dd's extra diapers, wipes and all three diaper bags :-). Hmm....sling, shopping cart insert, and kiddopotomus table cover as well.

I whole heartedly recommend a changing table if not two! Oh, dh and I are 5'6" and 5'8".

HTH

Christine

ginamlee
08-18-2003, 09:49 PM
I think that 28" might feel a little low, even with a shorter height.

We have a regular changing hutch upstairs in the nursery, but we decided on this for the main level: http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/furniture/changing_tables/6550?sku=201957&_requestid=122935 (If you sign up for Premium services, you'll get another 15% off right now at this site and free shipping. Additionally, if you go through www.ebates.com, you'll get another 7% back on your purchase. I buy SO much from this site - wait for whatever product I want to go on sale - that the Premium membership has paid for itself many times over because of the free shipping.)

We are actually putting it in a wider-than-average hallway for a private, out-of-the-way place for changing.

So, if you are short on space, this might be a great option. You can also put it at whatever height is comfortable.