PDA

View Full Version : rails for standard twin bed as crib alternative?

alaskadiver
08-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Does anyone know if there are any kind of rails that are designed to attach to a regular twin bed to convert it to a crib? My daughter will soon outgrow her co-sleeper basinette. We have a nice new extra twin bed in the kids room but no crib. I'm looking at that twin bed and wondering if it can be converted into a workable crib to avoid buying a whole new set furniture and bedding that will soon be outgrown.

Kent Lind
China Spring, TX

stella
08-21-2003, 09:37 PM
Really you should just buy a crib. It won't be outgrown for two years at the earliest and you may want it for another baby. If you want to save money, just buy the crib, mattress, mattress pad and 2 or 3 sheets. The bumpers, comforter, etc. are totally unnecessary, but the other items are pretty much necessities.

There is nothing safe about a twin bed for a baby. An adult mattress is likely too soft for a baby. Rails aren't a very safe option for an infant who could easily become trapped between the rails and the mattress, or could squeeze past the rails at the ends where they don't quite match up with the mattress and fall out.

Cribs are just not really optional equipment. You will also want the adjustability of a crib so you can lower the mattress when baby can sit up so that he or she can't topple over the rails when he pulls up on them at 7 or 8 months.

There are a lot of reasonably-priced, good quality cribs out there - I would just bite the bullet and purchase (or borrow) one.

Just skip all the frou-frou bedding and save a little money that way!!

sbaker
08-21-2003, 10:14 PM
How old is your baby? If she's under 18 months or so I would highly recommend buying a crib instead of using rails on your twin bed.

BTW, my husband is from China Spring. I wonder if y'all know each other?

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

alaskadiver
08-22-2003, 01:59 PM
OK, thank's guys.

I'll just go ahead and spring for a crib.

My first daughter was adopted at age 2 1/2 and we never used a crib with her. She did fine sleeping in a regular twin bed from the start.

This is our first time around with an infant. Catalina (Catie) is 5 months old now and rapidly out-growing the co-sleeper basinette that we are using now.

I guess I'll make a trip to Babies R Us and take a look at some of the models that are mentioned on this board.

Sara, we just moved to China Spring from Alaska two months ago so I don't know anyone here but my next door neighbors.

-Kent-

sbaker
08-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Now you know some crazy lady off the internet whose in-laws live in China Spring :). Seriously, China Spring is a nice place to live. Someday we hope to build a house there on the in-laws ranch.

Good luck on your crib search!

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04