PDA

View Full Version : breast feeding w/ breast implants

loritb
08-28-2003, 09:13 AM
Hi,

I had breast implants about 4 months before I found out I was pregnant. At the time I got the implants, the doctor said there was a chance I might not be able to breats feed.

I'm trying to find out if other mothers with implants have been able to breastfeed. Also, is there anyway to tell before the baby comes if you will be able to or not?
Thanks

nigele
08-28-2003, 05:13 PM
You might want to check with La Leche - I remember hearing about one of the leaders in our area who was familiar with nursing with breast implants. Good luck!

stillplayswithbarbies
08-28-2003, 08:14 PM
There are some articles here:

http://www.kellymom.com/meds/mom-activities.html#implants

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

chrissyhowie
08-28-2003, 11:11 PM
In general, women who have had breast implants are able to produce milk and breastfeed. Women who have had breast reductions generally have a much more difficult time because the more of the ducts connecting to the nipple have been disrupted.

I don't think there is any way to tell beforehand if breastfeeding will be a complete success or not. That's true even if you've haven't had breast surgery!

susani
09-02-2003, 08:16 PM
I have not had my baby yet, but I also have implants. Based on the information I received from my doctor,you'll just have to wait and see. It also seems to depend somewhat on how your implants were put in. I got my implants over 10 years ago so I had them put in via the nipple, which is evidently more problematic than other ways. At any rate, at least my doctor didn't say that there was absolutely no way I'd be able to breastfeed. I'll just have to wait until I have the baby, and even then it might take several days before I know for sure.

loritb
09-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the replies-I guess I'll just wait and hope for the best!