PDA

View Full Version : Morigeau vs. Ragazzi furniture

lmintzer
09-10-2003, 03:14 PM
We have narrowed our furniture choices down to two companies/groups for our 2nd baby boy due in Dec.

1. Morigeau-Lepine: 6200 series (combo and 5 drawer dresser)

We'd go with natural finish to match our existing Pali crib.

2. Ragazzi Shaker Country Charms series (combo and 5 drawer dresser or grand
High Boy if we can fit it)

We'd go with natural with some kind of different wood tone for knobs/tops--
maybe cinnamon?

Price-wise, we'd be about even if we ordered Morigeau from Good Night Ben in Canada and the Ragazzi from our local baby store (Morigeau from the local store was just too high).

I e-mailed Ragazzi to see if we could get a catalog that better represents the trim colors (it's really hard to tell from internet pictures). If I can't get a better idea of what the trim colors would look like, I would be disuaded from ordering sight-unseen.

Any votes on what would be better?

I like the look of the Ragazzi, but when I've tried in the stores, the drawers don't pull quite as smoothly as the Morigeau, which was surprising, given how good Ragazzi is supposed to be. I've tried in 2 different stores for sake of comparison. Also, I am unsure about the caddy-style drawer/cart on the combo. Does anyone have this? Is it useful? Is it useful AFTER diapaer changing days are done or too hard to gain access to? (We have a more traditional combo by Pali for our first with a drawer on top for diapering supplies and cabinet below).

I know we'll probably be happy with either but just thought I'd get opinions here considering this is a big investment that we hope to use for many years.

Thanks,
Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01 ("What's the big deal about furniture?")
& Little Brother, e.d.d., 12/15/03 ("You'd better order or I'll be here before the furniture!")

sbaker
09-10-2003, 04:22 PM
I have a Ragazzi Shaker dresser and changing platform that I LOVE. I chose natural finish for the dresser and cherry for the knobs and changing platform. I love the changing platform! After we are done having kids I can just sell it on Ebay. No one will ever know that DS's dresser was ever a "changing table."

Even though DS's room is a disaster :) I will attach a photo so you can see the colors.

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/762.jpg

lmintzer
09-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Sara,
That's a beautiful color combination. Thanks much for posting the picture! My only issue with the changing platform is that I'm 5 lb. 2 inches, and I have found that platforms are usually too high to be comfortable for me (that's why I went with the combo. for ds#1). I'll have to check out Ragazzi's heights--maybe if the dressers are a little shorter?

Thanks again for your advice.

Did you order any other pieces?

Lisa

sbaker
09-10-2003, 09:22 PM
You're right. The combo would probably be better for you. I'm 5'9" so I liked that the platform was taller. :)
The only other thing I ordered was the crib. I may order some other pieces soon for Baby #2, however. I just don't feel like spending the money right now....

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
Mom to Rayce 02/09/02
Baby #2 due 01/05/04

alexsmommy
09-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Hi Lisa - so funny - I just saw your post. Alex has a Raggazi dresser with a back/side lip and we just bought one of those changing pads for the top. It's worked fine and I think it'd be low enough for you - so if you want to stop by to try it out on our mutual day off let me know...
We love the Ragazzi furniture (we have the dresser and a bookcase) - no problems with it at all.

lmintzer
09-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Sara. Well, we bit the bullet and ordered today. We went with the natural and cherry like yours (we got color chips from the company and held them up against solid natural in the store, and the cherry was really striking).

We decided to go with the 5 drawer high boy and the double dresser (without a change top--we're just going to change diapers on a pad right on top).

Thanks again for your post and picture. : )

Lisa
& Jack, 4/20/01
& Little brother-to-be, e.d.d., 12/15/03 (our second babies will be close in age!
Happy double stroller shopping!)