PDA

View Full Version : USA Baby and Sorelle nightmare

aeboyd
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
I am writing to report the most frustrating retail experience I have ever had. My husband and I ordered a Sorelle Rita crib and Roma changing table in Sable on June 6, 2003 from the USABaby store in Kenner, LA. We were told they would arrive in 6-8 weeks. Not only do we not have the crib and changing table yet, but we can't even find out where they are or when they will arrive. I am now five days away from my due date, and our nursery remains half empty.

When the initial arrival date came and went, I contacted the store's manager, and he informed me that the manufacturer had some trouble with the stain. Therefore, the items would be included in the next shipment, due to arrive in the US at the end of August, at which time we could find out if the items were on their way. It took over a week of repeated calls to receive the information that they were on their way and would arrive by Sep. 19. Ever since Sep. 19, I have had almost daily contact with the store, each call an exercise in frustration. Every time, the manager puts me off with yet another excuse and an assurance that he will know something soon. And each time I call back--he never calls me--I get the same response: "I've been trying to call the manufacturer, but they won't return my calls." He says they have sixteen pieces on back order from Sorelle, and that after the shipment arrives, they are going to stop carrying Sorelle.

Like many others here, I was most impressed with the quality and affordability of Sorelle cribs. The thought of starting all over on our search, particularly as my baby will be here any day, is extremely disheartening.

My husband and I are left with the conclusion that no one at USA Baby is particularly concerned about our situation. We even wrote to the home office, and their response was that as the stores are individually owned, there isn't much that they can do but forward our complaint and ask for a response. Big deal!

The only solution offered has been for us to purchase the crib and changing table in natural, which is in stock. This is not an acceptable solution because we have already purchased other items for the room to match the crib and changing table in Sable.

I'm at my wits' end! I'm going to call the manufacturer myself as soon as I get off line. Otherwise, I don't know what else to do. The latest is that we are being told a shipment from Sorelle is coming in on the 30th (after my due date), but they can't tell me if our stuff is included. I wanted the authors and readers of Baby Bargains to know that there some serious problems with Sorelle and USA Baby!!!

Momof3Labs
09-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Two things...

First of all, I can't believe that they told you 6-8 weeks for Sorelle in June. Sorelle closes for a month during the summer, so production falls even farther behind. Our Sorelle crib (ordered last April) took 10 weeks, and the changing table (ordered last May) took 14 weeks. We also ordered the changing table in Sable, thinking that it would match the Sable crib, and it was AWFUL!! The "sable" changing table was three different mismatched color of wood (including natural shelves) and did not match the crib at all. Our Baby's Room store (related to USA Baby) was very good, and called Sorelle for an answer. The response was that the case pieces (including the changing table) were made by a different company and that color was the closest thing that they had to sable. The Baby's Room ended up taking the changing table back, and offered me a natural one. I declined, and ended up buying a white Sorelle changing table online.

We bought the Roma crib and a less expensive Sorelle changing table - not sure of the name.

Anyways, sounds to me like your real problem is with the USA Baby store setting up unreasonable expectations and not following through with the status of your items. I hope that your changing table looks better than ours, too, when you get it!

jim
09-25-2003, 11:23 PM
You will be waiting a long time for the sable finish as it was discontinued by Sorrelle over 6 months ago. It was replaced by caramel which parallels Bonavita's and RT's pecan. Pecan is a darker shade and more orangey. Jim

aeboyd
09-27-2003, 03:38 PM
When we ordered the crib, they told us that Pecan had been discontinued and that they were replacing it with Sable. But clearly they are having trouble with their finishes. I pray that our changing table is not the mess the previous writer wrote about.

Perhaps the bulk of the problem is with USA Baby. I finally called Sorelle myself, and within less than a minute, I received an answer about where out items are. The crib should be here by Tuesday and the changing table by Friday. After so long, I'm not holding my breath. But it's good to get an answer. When I told the USA Baby manager how easily I was able to get this information, he told me that they themselves can't call the 1-888 number for Sorelle; they have to go through their rep., who clearly isn't doing his job. The whole thing is ridiculous! Apparently, both companies have a real problem with customer service.

KMommie
09-27-2003, 08:44 PM
What a nightmare! I'm so sorry you're going through all this stress!! I also had a problem with USA Baby. They had a problem ordering my Dutailler glider, they "thought they ordered it". But it never was ordered! Somewhere between the faxes, my order got lost, and USA Baby claimed they weren't supposed to call Dutailler and bug them about when the order was supposed to be in, so we never knew the order was lost until the arrival date came and went, DH had to inquire, USA Baby didn't call us or anything! Hopefully, your crib will arrive next week! Good Luck!

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03