PDA

View Full Version : Crib "Tent top" to keep cats out

NYGirl
10-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I have two indoor cats in a very small apartment - I'm worried that the cats will want to get into the crib. I've seen a product that ties onto the top of the crib and basically makes a tulle dome over the crib that (the picture shows) can support the weight of a cat.
Has anyone used one of these? From the photo it looks like it ties onto all four sides, which makes me wonder if it is still possible to raise/lower one side. Also DH thinks it may make it hot in the crib. Has anyone come up with other solutions? I wonder if I just hung a mosquito net around the crib (suspended from the ceiling) if that would work as well as the dome?

brooke2003
10-02-2003, 04:05 PM
WEll, I used a portable playard tent (made by tots in mind)when my son was first born and sleeping in a pack and play- the company also make a crib version. The tent was all mesh, so it was not hot, and you zippered open the entrance to get the baby in and out. We have 2 very large cats, and never had a problem. I have no idea if they ever tried to get in the tent (I never caught them) but I found the tent to be very very sturdy. Hope that helps...

Brooke

annex
10-02-2003, 06:28 PM
I had a similar worry with my cat, and bought a bassinet with a mesh dome. It ended-up being a waste of money. The cat showed not one whit of interest in being anywhere near the bassinet when my daughter was sleeping in it. We stopped using it after a few days because it was such a pain to zip and re-zip when taking her in and out. Now that she's in her crib, I've only once found him walking along the edge while she was in it. Never have I seem him in it with her there or without her there. My recommendation would be to put off purchasing it, and wait and see how the cats react to the baby.

KathyO
10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
>My recommendation would be to put off purchasing it, and wait and see how the cats react to the baby.

I would second that. We have three cats, and once they figured out (somewhere in the first couple of hours) that the new arrival could not operate a can opener, their interest in the baby and the baby's things was nil. They never got into the crib, and apart from the initial sniff, never went into the co-sleeper.

KathyO

nola
10-02-2003, 10:03 PM
We have two indoor cats. We had the crib tent and waited to see how the cats handled the new baby. I ended up using it after the day when my baby was about 4 weeks old, and I came in to check on her while she was napping. The cat was sleeping near her head. Not on her head, not touching her, not hurting. Just sleeping near by, but I did not want to risk anything anymore. I will concede that this cat is oddly friendly and patient with the baby. He still lets the baby pat his head (firmly) and pull his tail(gently) without putting up the slightest fuss or even walking away. (I had to say this just because it is so sweet) But, even still I would not wait to find out like I did. Plus, it prevents the cats from sleeping in there when the baby is not around.
The netting material does NOT make it hot in the crib. Trust me. It is like the material that my delicates laundry bag is made out of. The side railing cannot be lowered, but this has not been a problem for us. We have been able to keep the mattress on the highest setting (since she can't jump out) and so we have not needed to do alot of back breaking lowering and lifting. But, that could be an individual thing. And it does support the weight of a cat. I worried at first that the cat would slide down the sides near the headboard and get stuck, but that hasn't been a problem.
You may want to look at the reviews given it at amazon/babiesrus website. Best of luck and don't forget to love the cats after the baby comes.
N

amp
10-03-2003, 09:49 AM
We have 2 cats (3 at the time that we bought the crib, bassinet & changing table pad) and the only time they wanted to sleep in any of those places was before DS arrived. We remedied this by putting tinfoil across all of those surfaces and it only took one (loud) try before they gave up sleeping in all of the places. Once the baby was here, they steered clear altogether, especially when we weren't in the same room. I would wait and see how yours do. You can always pick one up after the baby is born. Or, if you do want to get it, I would keep it packaged and keep the receipt so you can return if not needed. Good Luck!

drsweetie
10-04-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't think that a mosquito net hung around the crib would be strong enough to keep the cats out. The tent is quite sturdy and (supposedly) built to withstand up to 20 lbs of weight.

Having said that, we have a crib tent and have never used it. Our cat wants absolutely nothing to do with the baby; also, when Laura's sleeping in her crib, we just close the door to her room and listen to her on the monitor. I tried putting the tent on one day, but with the tent on you can't raise/lower the drop side (which is important for me because I'm only 5'3" tall), plus Laura's beloved mobile wouldn't fit under the dome.

If you have very snuggly cats who show a strong interest in the baby, then this might be a good investment, but if you have El Fraidy-Cat like we do, then it might not be necessary.

Ellen
Mom to Laura 6/9/03

Edited to add: I don't think the crib tent would make it especially hot in the crib (it's mesh), especially if you don't use bumpers.

elvisfan
10-05-2003, 01:03 AM
My cats are afraid of my two babies *lol*.....an inexpensive way to keep cats anway from anything is to put some orange peels near the item....cats hate the smell of citrus.

NYGirl
10-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks for all the good advice! I think I'll wait and see how they react. I have one bold cat and one shy one (her name is Spooky for that reason). The citrus peel idea is great.
Did any of you all do any "cat preparation" before the baby came? I read that recording the baby's crys and playing it was good, plus bringing home a blanket or something from the hospital before the baby comes. Any thoughts on this?

dotgirl
10-13-2003, 11:57 AM
[deleted because I just found out that I double posted. Oops]

dotgirl
10-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Our cats (we have three) have shown a love of both the nursery and the crib, so we got the tent to keep them out before the baby comes - I'm tired of rewashing the bedding because they got cat hair all over it!

That being said, we have 2 cats that I don't expect will want anything to do with the baby, but one of our cats is more like a dog - we're pretty sure he'll be a big fan, so we thought the tent was a good investment. (Side note - we did buy it using a Babies r Us gift card I received from my co-workers as a shower present - I don't know if we would have bought it before seeing how the cats reacted if we'd had to use "real" money - at $50, it was a bit pricey.)

amp
10-13-2003, 11:59 AM
We did not do any prep with out cats. Surprise guys, we have a baby!

lfp2n
10-13-2003, 03:14 PM
I have a siamese cat who is mildly interested in the baby but only from a long distance-he's absolutely terrified of her sudden jerky movements and runs away if she tries to touch or you hold her near.
Someone leant us one of those net domes, we set it up and put it on the floor while figuring out whether to use it.I have to say our cat-who is very 'bad' became obsessed with trying to crawl on it, under it, playing with the ties etc which made me decide not to use it as it was attracting his attention.
He has never tried to sleep in the moses basket or crib empty or with the baby. The only thing I have to keep an eye on is the stroller which he's quite partial to when empty.
So I'd not buy one until you know whether the cat's a problem.
Lucy

emschwar
10-18-2003, 09:02 PM
This article was in the Washington Post back in May.

Pet Set
Priming a Cat for Baby

Sunday, May 18, 2003; Page M05

Our cat, Max -- 15 pounds of unadulterated feistiness -- rules the roost. He is, for now, the baby of my two-person family, but that will change this fall, when he'll have to share the limelight with a newborn. How can I get him ready for an attention-hogging infant? Here's what the experts advise:

1 - Be mean and wean

It might be painful for all involved, but, starting about three months before your due date, you should let your feline friend know that there's going to be way less affection in his future. "It's hard, because you're feeling guilty," says Megan Brooks, 36, director of adoption and counseling services for the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria. "But you need to do things to tell him you're not available to him 24 hours a day anymore." Don't delude the cat -- or yourself -- into thinking he'll still be the center of attention after baby arrives.

2 - Introduce the interloper

Even while you're debating baby's name, experts say it's good to get your cat adjusted to the idea of a new kid in town. Set up the crib and changing table about two months before the baby is due, and allow your cat to explore the room. Borrow some baby blankets so he can get used to baby scents. And if you must alter his play, feeding or litter box space, do it early. Too many changes at once will rock Tiger's world and make catty behavior more likely. "Cats get very, very used to a certain kind of environment," Brooks says. "Babies change all that."

3 - Set boundaries

Once you have the crib put together, it's time to teach Whiskers that it's not a catnap area. "If you let it sleep in the bassinet now, when the baby comes, all of a sudden you'll have to displace the cat," says Dr. Lee Morgan, 38, of Georgetown Veterinary Hospital. "And that's a big problem." The women's lifestyle Web site iVillage recommends cleaning empty soda cans and keeping them in the crib or bassinet until the baby comes, as no self-respecting cat would nap in such an unwelcoming environment. Another idea: Put a doll in the bassinet and cover it with netting to hold the spot.

4 - Make some noise

Get kitty used to a whole lot of racket. Got friends with infants? Invite 'em for dinner. Got no friends? Play a tape or CD of a baby crying. It's not melodic, but it'll get you and kitty adjusted to what will soon be the routine decibel level in your house.

5 - Supervise visitation

Once the baby arrives, don't leave your cat out in the cold. Though you never want to leave him alone with the baby, you may want to install a screen door to the nursery so you can keep him away without excluding him completely. Or, have someone else pet your cat as you hold your child. Make sure to punish any rough play, though: If your cat hisses at the baby, verbally correct it, and set it in a new room until it calms down. "Animals must learn if they want favorable attention, they must behave in a favorable manner," Morgan says. Jessica Wehrman

Need some pet info? Drop a line to [email protected]. Include your name, city and phone number.

shishamo
10-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Hello,

I have 2 kids (4 year old and a 18 months old) and 2 cats, and we live in a fairly small apartment. My 2 cats are SUPER friendly and love the baby (and her older brother). I actually don't mind the idea of the cat in their bed, they are reaaaly tame, but the cat wakes up my 18 months old (and she cries) so I just close the door to the kid's room and use the baby monitor. I did purchased a crib tent once but returned it because it didn't work for us, and here's why:

1) our cats spent a LONG TIME on top of the tent, and one of the smarter one managed to SLIP herself between the crib tent side and got wedged inside the cribtent. She's about 12lbs.

2) the sound of the cats having a party on top of the tent was enough to wake up my then 7 month old

In any case, it wasn't worth the trouble and $75 for us.

Sara

rmindy001
08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi. I'm due in a week and have a very nice, dog-like cat that weighs about 8 lbs. I'm worried that she's going to be very friendly with the baby and wind up sleeping in the crib. I didn't want to do the crib tent since it seems inconvenient. So, I purchased the following pet fence that is 41 inches high for the nursery door so that I could leave the door open and the air circulating. It is a very nice fence, however, if you have a small cat, like I do, she can slip between the two bars where the door meets the side of the fence, which is a slightly wider opening than the rest of the openings between the bars. The other bars are close enough together to prevent her from slipping through. I was so frustrated that she didn't even need the mini cat door on this fence. Needless to say, we figured out she could fit through after we had already tossed the boxes and couldn't return, so we were forced to cover the space with plexiglass, which is working fine, but is not ideal. This fence would be great for you if you have a chubby cat that cannot fit through the bars.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13044&Ntt=easy%20step&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1