PDA

View Full Version : BEST Coil Mattress?

aliceinwonderland
10-13-2003, 08:01 AM
What do you experienced parents think is the best coil mattress? I have the BB book, but was looking for some real-life experiences.
Thanks!

Erin, baby due this Spring :)

amp
10-13-2003, 03:16 PM
Erin,

We have the Sealy BabySoft Ultra coil mattress. We purchased it at BRU. I believe it might have been one of the ones recommended in the BBB, but I don't have it in front of me to be sure. Anyway, we are fairly happy with the mattress. It was mid-range priced (compared to the others at BRU)...I think about $70, but I'm not sure. I believe it has 160-170 coils, so not overkill. It does sometimes seem like it sags a bit in the middle where DS lays, but not too much. And we liked that it wasn't too soft or too firm. Some of them are really cushy and didn't seem safe and some felt like a board. This one was comfy and DS seems very comfortable on it. I guess we'll know later on whether it sags more after a lot of use (at this point it's only been used for 4.5 mths.) This is the only mattress I have experience with personally.

aliceinwonderland
10-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Yes, I do believe that was mentioned in the book. Thanks so much for the info.

PS. I LOVE your avatar, you have a cute baby :)

amp
10-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Erin,

You are welcome! Do a search for coil mattress here and see what else pops up. I know I responded to another thread on this topic some time ago, but I don't remember if anyone else had input that would help you.

And thanks, we think Jacob's pretty cute too! I am thinking of changing my avatar soon because we keep getting such cute pics now! We'll look forward to seeing your little one (spring, right?)!

votre_ami03
10-17-2003, 11:05 AM
We too have the Sealy. I haven't had any prob's with it. Although, truth be told, Nolan rarely sleeps in his crib. :( We use the p n'p for bedtime still.

Christy\r\nInducing 7/22\r\nBoy! Nolan

JustMare
10-20-2003, 08:19 PM
We just purchased the Simmons Baby Maxipedic from BRU $89.99 this weekend. It's the other recommended coil mattress in the book.

The only reason we selected this mattress over the Sealy mattress was for the stupid reason that we have a Simmons mattress and felt it's good for us, it's good for baby! :)

calebsmama03
10-23-2003, 09:59 AM
We have the one that BBB recommended from BRU for $60 - Sealy Ultra Soft
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000056JBO/qid=1066920135/br=1-1/ref=br_lf_ba_1//102-9245972-5500137?v=glance&s=baby&n=542378
While it is OK, I would not get a coil mattress next time. It is WAY too heavy and changin sheets is a 2 person job! Not practical when baby's diaper leaks and no one else is around. If I had it to do over, I'd get the foam one they recommend at Target. I've read good things about it here and it is far cheaper and lighter. If you are set on a coil, though, this one is good. Not too soft but still seems comfy.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

jd11365
10-24-2003, 01:37 AM
This is what I fretted over the most (besides the stroller) and didn't think the book offered much help in this area. I was determined to get a coil mattress...which now I really do regret and wish I had a foam for the sake of changing sheets. I kept thinking...why would I buy a foam mattress just because it's a little heavier...I want the "best" for my baby...I don't sleep on foam, why should my child? Well, after seeing that my dd likes sleeping anywhere...the floor, the pack and play, I can't see why I didn't just get the foam. But, if you are set on coil, I got one by Colgate at my local baby boutique called A Baby's Corner. It's a great mattress, don't get me wrong...just wish I had something lighter...

HTH!

kcgirl
07-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I hope you don't mind me emailing you.

I was searching the posts on the Baby Bargains Book message board, and I was reading your feedback on the Sealy BabySoft Ultra coil mattress you purchased at BRU. (Posted back in October of 2003!) You were fairly happy with the mattress, but did notice it sagged a bit in the middle, but not too much. At that time you had only had it for 4.5 months. How did it hold up in time??

Thanks for any additional information you can give me.

P.S. If you have any feedback on any other crib mattresses, I'd be happy to hear that also!