PDA

View Full Version : diaper pail suggestions?

almostmom
10-31-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for diaper pail as the last needed item for the nursery. I don't want the genie, or anything that does the individual wrap or you need certain bags. If you could also mention where to purchase your suggestion, that would be great!

Thanks,
Liz (due in a week!)

amp
10-31-2003, 11:02 AM
You could do a search on this and you would find some info on the most popular diaper pails. We use the Diaper Champ. It contains the smell and it uses regular trash bags or shopping bags in it. It cost around $25-30 and we bought ours at BabiesRUs.

millerpjm
10-31-2003, 01:33 PM
I second the vote for the diaper champ... very easy to use. I got mine at Toys R Us. I think there's a very long post on this in the around the house forum (but I can't remember).

Jen

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

jec2
10-31-2003, 09:59 PM
We haven't yet tried ours, but ours is not a "diaper pail" but a trash pail we found at Martha Stewart

http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=product&id=product1662&site=&_requestid=129773

We will be using ours for cloth diapers and the nice thing is that it not only looks cute but has a tight fitting lid, which will probably help with any stink factor. Of course, since we haven't used ours yet, I cannot say whether or not it works well! HTH.

peanut4us
10-31-2003, 10:56 PM
We have the diaper champ... mostly we've been happy with it, but for about the last 3 weeks... poopy dipes must go straight to the big garbage in the garage... It does not contain her mega-stinky poops anymore! The wet ones are good though. I would still buy this one again if I had it to do all over again.

KUvsOU
11-01-2003, 11:29 AM
We also have the Diaper Champ and use the scented trash bags with it. I usually try to empty the pail at night. Then, I place it in a separate room so that I can spray the inside with Lysol or wipe it down with Mr. Clean so that it doesn't smell. I have found that it is usually pretty good at keeping the smell in, but I still like to spray it or clean it out so it doesn't start to smell.

Good luck! :)

Shawna
Mom of Cade 6/16/02

cmferrara
11-02-2003, 05:23 AM
A friend of mine recommended the diaper Dekor which is what we registered for. I can't vouch for it yet, but my friend did try the diaper gene first and said the Dekor was much better. It is also offered at BRU

Good Luck!

calebsmama03
11-03-2003, 11:09 AM
I'll jump in on the Champ recommendation, too! After 8 months we still really like ours. Never had any problems with smell. DS is still largely BF so the dipes aren't SUPER stinky yet, but I think it will be fine. We use regular kitchen bags (13 gal, I think?) and make sure the edges of the bag are over the blue bag holder (you'll know what I mean if you buy it) and completely tucked in so there is no opening where air can get out. It holds a week worth of dipes and we only empty it weekly. I do try to empty in the evening as well and spray with lysol and wipe down with a clorox wipe to prevent any stinkies, though. I thought it was pricey ($30 at BRU) but the lack of special liners to go with it makes it totally with while. I'd highly recommend it.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

angusmom
11-03-2003, 04:59 PM
Has anyone tried the new Neat! pail from Safety 1st yet? I'm dying to know how it works and IF it works!

I recommend the Champ or the Diaper Nanny (now the Dekor). Both worked great.

votre_ami03
11-04-2003, 10:50 AM
Add me to the Diaper Champ list (By Baby Trend). I registered for it based on the reviews here. I have used it for over 3 mos & still like it. I keep it in the closet in DS's room & no stink, yet.

Christy & baby Nolan 7/22/03

natividad
11-04-2003, 09:49 PM
I also did not want the Genie because of the extra cost of purchasing the bags. I have a "regular" pail for DS's cloth diapers and a Safety 1st pail for when I use disposables. I have the Odorless diaper pail, not the new Neat. Below is a picture.

http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=115

I find that for the money, this pail works great. Mind you, I do disposables on a limited basis AND I also try to flush in the toilet as much as possible of DS's poops before disposing of the diaper. The flushing doesn't bother me a bit. It is a small price to pay for an odor free bathroom :-)

HTH,
Naty,
Mommy to Alexander

heva
11-04-2003, 10:27 PM
We use the Diaper Champ and LOVE it. Best part: finally putting all those horrible plastic shopping bags (DH calls them "Schbags") to good use!

lmariana
11-07-2003, 08:38 PM
I LOVE our Dekor! It has an easy step that opens the lid and some flaps that help keep the odor in. It does use refills, but not like the Genie...it's a refill that you insert at the top of the can. When the bags gets full, you just open the door, pull down the bag from the bottom, cut the bag with the built-in device, and tie a knot. Presto! New bag without changing a refill!

The refills seem never-ending. We've only replaced the refill ONCE in 2 months! Gotta love that!

My favorite thing about the Dekor is that you don't smell anything in the baby's room and you don't have to smell the dirty bag when you remove it! You'll also really love the complete hands-free operation. Just step and drop!

Best wishes!

Mariana
Mother of Gabe, 12 weeks old
Huge fan of the Dekor, if you can't tell

Kaodi
11-07-2003, 09:43 PM
>We use the Diaper Champ and LOVE it. Best part: finally
>putting all those horrible plastic shopping bags (DH calls
>them "Schbags") to good use!

I use D Champ. If you really don't wan to have small in your bathroom, use clear wrap (wrap tightly!) before you put a poopy diaper. Also it is good idea to keep one sides always clean and use another side to put diaper.

Regarding "Neat", youhave to make sure that you put your hand all way to the bottom in order to make it work. If you have a store sells "Neat" close from your house, you might want to go and check it out. If you just put a diaper and push it, sometimes the diaper will not drop to the bottom parts.

I hope it helps,
Kaodi

Melanie
11-08-2003, 09:37 PM
When we used disposables we liked the Diaper Champ b/c you could just use regular small kitchen bags. I bought this at BRU.

With Cloth, I like our Sterlite Tall Kitchen Trash can from Target, which I use reusable waterproof bags with. I got one from www.thisoldbag.com or www.bummis.com.

--==Please Don't Feed the Trolls!==--