PDA

View Full Version : dresser/hutch/changing pad question....

PattiB
11-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Hello - I need some advice from experienced moms...we bought a RumbleTuff hi-lo unit with a matching hutch on top and now that I look at it, I'm wondering if we'll really be able to use it as a changing table, which was our intention. Baby's not here yet since I can't practically try it out and I'd like to remove the hutch now if necessary.

As much as I love the look of the hutch and think it will be great storage space with the shelves, it seems to me that the baby could easily get bumped on the lower shelf when trying to change her. Also am I supposed to buy a separate changing pad that attaches to the unit, or would it suffice to have one that just rests on the unit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Patti

jec2
11-12-2003, 11:40 AM
I bought a similar dresser that has a hutch option. I haven't yet bought the hutch, however, becuase I was told by our store that the hutch shouldn't be used while using the changing table surface. So, I would think the same applies to yours as well.

Ours did come with a changing pad. But, we decided it was way too thin and non-countoured so we picked up one of those sold at babies r us. I think you can attach most of the changing pads to the dresser if need be..at least ours did.

Hope this helps.

HallsofVA
11-12-2003, 12:50 PM
I also purchased a dresser to use as a changing table, and bought the hutch at the same time to have for later. Though we're still waiting for them to arrive, I don't think we'll be using the hutch with the dresser from the beginning, more because we're concerned we'll hit our heads, since we figured we could always remove the lower shelf to keep baby from hitting his head. Depending on how sturdy the hutch is, we'll decide whether to use it separately in the nursery, or just store it until we're ready to use it. Course, if you have a hi-lo hutch with uneven legs, that may not be an option for you.

In regards to the changing pad question, the Rumble Tuff changing pad comes with straps and snaps that you attach to the back of the dresser to hold the pad it place. That attachment method seemed easier than the one on the Colgate changing pad, so that's the one we'll probably go with.

Bridget
12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
I recently bought my furniture, and also have a dresser changer combo. I was concerned about the same thing, and was told in the store that all combos should come with a removeable lower shelf to avoid this problem. Unfortunately for me if I had removed the lower shelf there was only one other sheld along the top, so I decided not to spend the extra money. I figure if they still make the item in a few years and I need the extra shelving I'll purchase it then. What I did buy was a book shelf that sits on the floor. This however needs to be mounted to the wall before the baby learns to climb it because it is a tipping hazzard. If you like the hutch alot perhaps you can store it (assuming you have the space)until the baby is bigger.

Best of Luck,
Bridget

mik8
12-11-2003, 10:06 AM
We have a rumble tuff hi-lo combo dresser. Overhead clearance was the biggest factor we decided to put off in getting one. There's just not enough room when changing the baby. We bought a bookcase instead for storage and just buy the anti-tip brackets available at any baby or home improvement stores. Yes, we did buy the rumble tuff changing pad (costs $25-30) that can be screwed on to the dresser. Love it! I like the countoured edges. The screw-in feature is great especially that my DD is becoming more mobile now and we have to strap her. Search online for a good deal on the RT pad. You can use other brands if you choose i.e., simmons, etc. but I really like the RT pad.