PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to say...

aliceinwonderland
11-13-2003, 10:16 AM
we picked up our Simmons Venetian crib and combo unit last night at BRU, and my DH set them up with very little help from me...It is such beautiful furniture, and set up was a breeze. I'm in love with it!!

eri
18 weeks pregnant, overachiever apparently...

brittone2
11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
We have the same set, and I love it!! We got it in Cherry for our little boy due in February. We set it up a few weeks ago and I love just going in to look at it:)

Enjoy!

Beth

brittone2
11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
We have the same set, and I love it!! We got it in Cherry for our little boy due in February. We set it up a few weeks ago and I love just going in to look at it:)

Enjoy!

Beth

aliceinwonderland
11-13-2003, 11:59 AM
I know. I woke up this morning and was just looking at it (it's in our room).
What kind of mattres are you using with yours. i registered for the Simmons Maxipedic, but some say it may be too short for this crib???

brittone2
11-13-2003, 04:18 PM
We wanted to opt for a foam mattress. I'm petite (about 5'2" and fairly tiny), and I thought for those middle of the night sheet changes, I'd have a heck of a time struggling w/ a coil mattress. So...we ended up just getting the inexpensive Kolcraft from Target. There is about a one inch gap between the mattress and the crib, which worried me quite a bit initially. There is a "2 finger rule"...you shouldn't be able to put two fingers in the gap. However, obviously adults all have different sized fingers/hands so I wanted to know the "safe" measurement. I ended up contacting the Consumer Product Safety Commission today w/ my question and one of their engineers wrote back a bit ago and said the gap should be no more than 1 and 3/8 of an inch, so mine will pass just fine.

I've heard some people say the simmons cribs are a little long, but when I asked at BRU they said any crib mattress should fit fine. I don't know much about the Simmons Maxipedic. I know a few other people have the Venetian so maybe you could post and see if any of them used the Maxipedic? I would imagine as long as it is still wrapped/unused you could try it in the crib and if it is too short, return it, but of course...I'm sure you'd rather not have to go through that if you can avoid it.

Good luck. Let me know what happens.

vickip
11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
I was seriously considering the Venetian crib because it is beautiful and matches our other nursery furniture, but did not buy because I don't see how the bumpers can be tied on securely. If you tie the bumpers to a rail on the side, rather than a corner post (which is not available on Venetian), there is slack in the bumper. We even considered drilling holes into the backboard to create a place for threading bumper tie through to allow corner tie, but in the end decided to renew our crib search.

How are you handling the bumper?

Vicki

brittone2
11-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Easy enough...we decided to skip one for safety reasons before even crib shopping, and choosing that crib made it that much easier to forgo the bumper altogether. A few people have said that they still use the bumper, but I'm not sure how they do this.

I think the crib looks "finished" enough with the sheets and dust ruffle and I just feel better eliminating any risks that might be associated w/ the bumper. I know others feel differently but that is just our personal preference after researching it on our own.

Hopefully someone else will have better advice for you on whether there is a way to put the bumpers in there securely. I guess I wasn't much help;)

I'm glad you like the crib! If you definitely want to use the bumpers, it is worth researching further to be sure there is a way to get them in there securely...I can see it could be tough.

Beth

aliceinwonderland
11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Well, i already have bought the bedding set, and it does have bumpers...I haven't put it in the crib yet (after all I'm due in April!), but I'll try ti find a way to put them in. Maybe some sort of velcro solution??
I never had second thoughts on the crib, because i DID want one with solid head and foot board (I don't like bars all the way around).