PDA

View Full Version : Old-fashioned rocker vs. glider rocker??

Judegirl
11-18-2003, 12:38 AM
What's wrong with the old-fashioned rocker? They're barely mentioned in BB, so I wonder what I'm missing...what makes a "glider" special?

Thanks!

Jude
Due 5-10-03

Judegirl
11-18-2003, 11:35 PM
I'm new here, and have been having a little bit of a hard time finding answers to different questions. Am I doing something wrong here? Is this one a silly question? Is there a more appropriate place to post it? Any advice would be appreciated...I never heard of a glider until I read BB!

Thank you,
Jude :)

hwin708
11-19-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't think it's a silly question at all. It's just that the best advice I could give is to go try out a glider at a store to understand the difference.
The biggest difference is the motion is more forward-backward, rather than the up-down of the old-fashioned rocker. This helps a lot when you have a nursing baby on your lap. You don't ahve to continue to bend your knees and push, so to speak. The glider just kind of...glides with your body. Also, they are padded much better. Regular rockers just have the cushions, but gliders have padded arms as well, which is great when your arms are constantly resting on them while holding a heavy baby.
For my first baby (and the soon to arrive one) I had a glider in the nursery and an upholstered rocker in the playroom (that's just like a big upholstered chair with the rocking part on the bottom - mine's from Pottery Barn). While I love the look of the rocker, the glider with gliding ottoman is far better for nursing.
But that's just my opinion.
HTH!

Judegirl
11-19-2003, 03:51 AM
I'm so glad you responded - thank you! I was wondering why the boom in these things...I didn't realize it made nursing easier/more comfortable. I'll be using a bottle, though, so perhaps I won't be missing anything by using a regular rocker.

I will check one out if I see it at a store, though. Thanks again!

Jude

stillplayswithbarbies
11-21-2003, 12:52 PM
You hold the baby the same way to bottle feed as to breast feed, so even with bottle feeding, your baby will be affected by the up and down motion of a rocker, as opposed to the smooth back and forth of a glider.

Try one out and see the difference. You can see a glider at Babies r Us, and Target and WalMart as well as the baby stores. Sometimes at Toys R Us too.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

Judegirl
11-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Thanks, Karen!

...But what do you mean by "affected?" I thought babies liked to be rocked in rockers...is the up and down motion bad for them? Didn't it work for most of us when we were babies? Do gliders put them to sleep faster?

I'll try them in the store...but without a baby in my arms, I don't know if I can understand...still looking for help! :)

Thanks,
Jude

aliceinwonderland
11-22-2003, 07:01 PM
well, I have tried several gliders, and do not like neither the motion or the bulky look. I know they're very popular, however, so this may be just me.
Personally, my DH's grandpa is refurbishing an antique rocker, and I am very much looking forward to rocking my little one in it...

stillplayswithbarbies
11-22-2003, 11:25 PM
maybe it's all in what you get used to. :) The glider is smooth. When I rock her at my mother-in-laws regular rocker, my knees are going up and down and bouncing her up and down instead of back and forth.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

jennifer13
11-25-2003, 12:59 PM
I had a rocker until DD was 2 weeks old, when my parents bought us a glider/ottoman, and the difference - for me at least- is huge! Not just the motion, but the entire structure. The glider is wider, better padding, just much more ergonomic. It is THE most comfortable place to nurse or give a bottle (we do both). And an ottoman with the nursing angle attachment thing (it folds down so your feet are at an agle) really helps with positioning for both bottle or breastfeeding. So my advice would be to check out the width of your rocker. Also, the padded arms of the glider are nice- as baby gets bigger her head and feet will need soft places to be. :) HTH.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

C99
11-25-2003, 09:48 PM
I don't have a glider-rocker, but the downside to a plain, old-fashioned rocker is that it's hard! I'm at my parents' house this week and using their rocker -- and it hurts my butt!