PDA

View Full Version : Receiving Blanket

tbaker018
11-21-2003, 09:53 AM
I have been told that many receivng blankets are too small. Is there a larger one that any of you have been happy with. We are registered at BRU and Target. I have been told to have someone make it, but that may not be an option.

Suggestions?

farsk
11-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Tracy,

I *LOVE* the Gymboree blankets! They are so big and wonderful! When Ellen was first born, we used the Carter's blankets, and they were the perfect size to swaddle her with, and now we use them to send to "school", but now, the Carter's blankets are much too small to swaddle her with.

The Gymboree are the best I've seen (so far). Do a search on E-bay....you can find the new with tags on the cheap!

Good Luck!

chlobo
11-21-2003, 10:49 AM
we use kushies which were recommended at our childbirth class. They have them at www.kidsurplus.com pretty cheap.

stillplayswithbarbies
11-21-2003, 11:23 AM
IKEA carries flannel receiving blankets that are larger than usual. That's what we used for swaddling.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

nitaghei
11-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Lands End has wonderful SOFT large flannel receiving blankets that are great for swaddling. We also have a Scottish lace blanket which is wonderful for later use (not for swaddling). I'm fairly sure that Lands End also has some nice knit blankets on the Overstocks page.

We also have a double layer knit blanket from Old Navy, which was a gift, and had held up beautifully. I was told at Old Navy that they tend to get these around Christmas, so you might want to check these out.

Gymboree is a more expensive option for similar blankets.

I prefer the knit blankets (all the ones I've listed are cotton), because they are stretchy and you can get a tighter swaddle than with flannel blankets.

The Carter's blankets are pretty small, and we ended up using them mostly as wedges (rolling them up to keep DS in place in his bassinet as a new born).

HTH
Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

TaChapm2
12-04-2003, 05:14 PM
We absolutely love all of the Comfort Silkie blankets. My son is 1 and we still use all of their blankets and they are still big enough for him. They are a little pricy but the quality is superb! They have a blanket called the swaddler that is perfect for swaddeling a newborn. We especially love the double flannel blanket for the colder months and the single flannel blanket for the summer. I can still wrap him up in these with room to spare and he is in the 95% for weight and height. May I also recommend the Origional Comfort Silkie Security Blanket. This is the best baby gift we received. It works like magic calming down our son and he was a really fussy baby. We wouldn't make it without this one. They are great long lasting products! Check out their website at www.comfortsilkie.com.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

lrgeller
12-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Gymboree makes some great blankets that are larger that are larger than most.