PDA

View Full Version : How to find penta-free (dangerous flame retardant) furniture?

AmyQPublic
11-21-2003, 05:03 PM
I live in California and have been following L.A. Times and other stories about the flame retardant most commonly used in foam for U.S. furniture, a chemical called "penta" for short-hand, and how it is dangerous to babies and has been found in high concentrations in breast milk.

It has been banned in Europe and California banned it in August 2003,
but ban does not go into effect until Dec. 2004 to give manufacturer's time to transition.

In the meantime, how can we identify which furniture with foam is penta-free? Specifically, crib mattresses, gliders, and couches?

I've visited three different furniture stores but sales clerks know nothing about the issue, only know that their products meet flame retardant standards as CURRENTLY required, which means it probably has Penta in it.

I know that IKEA is penta-free, but any other lines or types that are?

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Amy

JennyOP
11-30-2003, 10:14 AM
:o
I remember seeing something about this briefly some time ago . . .but had forgotten about it until reading your post this morning. Unfortunately, I bought my mattress last night! I am planning to do some research but wondered if you have found anything yet.

Thanks for being on top of this issue!

Jen