PDA

View Full Version : halo crib mattress

ladybug
11-23-2003, 10:32 PM
I am thinking about buying a halo crib mattress. This is my first baby, due in March, and am nervous about the SIDS scare. has anyone used a halo crib mattress, specially designed to prevent SIDS?

Momof3Labs
11-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Note that a mattress won't "prevent" SIDS because no one really knows what causes SIDS. Before you plunk down the money for what might be a marketing scam (I don't know because I'm not familiar with this product, and you didn't provide a link), you might want to read up on SIDS:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t102100.asp

audreywindsor
12-01-2003, 03:55 PM
This mattress is discussed in the Baby Bargains book. It is not a scam, and is "the only crib mattress tested and proven to reduce the risk of rebreathing (inhalation of carbon dioxide) a possible cause of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Results published in Pediatrics, the official journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics."

We are considering getting this mattress. If you are really nervous, and have the $250 to spend on it, I would. I think the only down side is the price, and I believe that is the same thing that the Fields say in their book.