PDA

View Full Version : Glider Rocker - Jardine vs Dutailier

afsmith
11-30-2003, 02:14 PM
I am in the process of deciding on a glider rocker - there are so many choices!! I went to Babies R Us & liked one of the Jardine rockers - I have read that their quality is poor, but this one seemed fairly decent considering the price. Are the Dutailier chairs worth the huge price difference? I have not been able to find the Dutailiers at much better prices on the web, including babycatalog. Any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful. Thanks.

MaddyBlues
11-30-2003, 10:04 PM
We were in the same boat - we ended up with the Dutalier. When I compared the 2 Gliders we were looking at, the Dutalier seemed to have better fit/finish/action and the ratings of their furniture have been stellar.

Friends of our bought a Jardine and hated it - not exactly sure why - but for Baby #2 they moved it into the basement and bought the Dutalier....

We found a great deal in NJ on a Dutalier @ Larry's in WestWood. We bought a Glider and an ottoman for the price of just a Glider - was a floor model special - but ours was brand new in the box!

I put it together today for my DW and she fell asleep in it as it is so comfortable. As a 1st time mom and just entering her 2nd trimester (with TWINS) she finds it very difficult to get comfortable. The Dutalier hit the spot....

Good luck - from what I have seen out there you can drive yourself nuts with the choices....(we did)

caheinz
12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
We ended up ordering a Dutailier. I'm being spoiled -- my dad is buying it for me. He and his wife are a little on the large side (not horrible, but larger than dh or I) right now, and they wanted me to get one they would be comfortable using.

Well, we all went to a BabiesRUs and they tried a bunch out. Dutailiers were the only ones they could glide in comfortably (the main problem was hitting the back stop too early).

So, you might want to consider the size of the people likely to sit in the chair!

Otherwise, I don't have it yet (special ordered, and they're done manufacturing until after Christmas...), so I can't say more about the quality!

As I recall, the BB book did like Shermag's too, and they're a lot less expensive. (They were among those we tried, and they just didn't work for us.)

Good luck!
Cheryl
#1 EDD 3/24/04

amanzo
12-26-2003, 12:29 AM
I agree with your assessment - and have spent several trips to Babies R Us, scratching my head as to how the Baby Bargains book came to the conclusion that Dutailier made the most fabulous rockers and the Jardine ones were junk. I see very little difference between the two, although the Dutailiers seem to recline or lock (hardly worth the price difference). My problem with Jardine is that even though they cost much less than Dutailier, I don't see $350-$400 worth of product there (including the ottoman). I notice you didn't mention Shermag - I think THOSE are junk, even though Baby Bargains reports they are fabulous - and again, I don't think they're worth their price tag either. Tomorrow I'm going to Wal-Mart to check out a Victory Land glider that's on sale for slightly under $80, which INCLUDES AN OTTOMAN if you can believe it. Short of nails sticking out of it somewhere, I'm probably going to pick that one up, because even if it falls apart in 3 months and I have to buy another one, I'll still be "in the money". I know this seems like an unbelievable price, but you may want to check it out. I've attached the link to the web page advertisement (you may have to copy and paste it into your browser). I have not been able to find any reviews on this glider or information about the company, and it seems to be sold exclusively at Wal-Mart.

JennSimm
12-26-2003, 10:50 AM
We purchased the jardine rocker and 2 of the cribs, and a changing table/dresser. I know the baby book says they arent that good, but we just love them. I dont have my babies yet, but I do use the rocker already. The one we got swivels and rocks. it is very comfy and well made. Hope this helps!

Jennifer