PDA

View Full Version : Which Crib? Simmons Venetian, Childcraft Millenium or PBK Sleigh

beth will
12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
I didn't realize how way behind I am when selecting a crib. I'm due in March. I LOVE the Child craft Millenium crib -- however -- it would be a special order and would not be available for pick-up for 10 to 12 weeks. I live 8 hours from BABIES R US and do not forsee doing all of this post-partum. (BRU does not deliver special orders to your home).

So .. should I wait for the Childcraft because it's soooo great (and doesn't rattle)!

or should I purchase the Simmons Venetian collection even though I thought the crib seemed to rattle too much.

or should I just bite the bullet and purchase the Pottery Barn Kids sleigh bed that seems so sturdy in the store (didn't rattle).

If you have any of these cribs -- please post and give your opinion.

Thanks for your imput

brittone2
12-01-2003, 12:15 PM
I'm due in february with our first. We went w/ the simmons venetian. We didn't find the floor model to rattle at all (could have been a fluke in the one you looked at?) and set up in our nursery and have thought it to be very sturdy. I don't know much about the childcraft, but I've never heard any complaints on here from other venetian owners because I checked a bunch of posts before we selected our crib.

I'm not sure if this is a consideration, but with the cribs w/ a solid head/foot board can be hard to use w/ bumpers if you are going to use them. We are skipping them as it is one less SIDS risk to worry about (although I understand why others want bumpers). Several people have mentioned that they can't get the bumpers secured well w/ the solid end pieces. I prefer the look of the solid head/foot on the crib personally, but it is something to consider if you want to use bumpers.

I too like the PBK cribs, but I know that the BB book mentions their cribs are all made by simmons and one other company (status?), and then are just marked up drastically. Which is also why I don't think the venetian would rattle any more than the PBK crib-chances are they may be manufactured by the same company anyway.

Also, not sure if you've thought about where you'll put baby those first few months (your room vs. nursery), but if you end up having the baby in your room in a bassinet, etc. in the beginning there isn't a huge rush to get the crib right away (you could wait 10-12 weeks theoretically) even though I'm sure you'd like to have everything in the nursery ready in advance.

I'm not sure I helped in any way, just wanted to reassure you that I love our Venetian crib and give you a few other things to consider;)

Good luck!

Beth

GonzoPippi
12-01-2003, 07:56 PM
Hi. It's not the Venetian, but I went with the Simmons Matino and it feels very sturdy to me. The problem with most baby stores is they assemble everything so poorly. They never tighten the screws enough, and often don't even use all the pieces that come with the crib. All I can say is, with the casters locked and everything fully assembled, our Matino is one of the sturdiest cribs I've seen.

Oh, and the other respondent is right about PBK selling Simmons cribs. And they REALLY rip you off. (:

Laura

tarahsolazy
12-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Don't feel so behind, Beth! I'm due in Feb and haven't done the crib thing yet! I do live in a big-ish city with a BRU and USA Baby. Another thing to consider on that Childcraft Milennium is the non-moveable side rails. That's why the darned thing feels so sturdy. As a short person, I want that lower-able side rail. Tall folks don't seem to care so much. I think I'll go with an in-stock Pali from USA Baby, sans drawer, or a nice Simmons from BRU like other people have just given good reviews of.

jennkate
12-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Hi, I have the PBK sleigh and while it is beautiful and I love it, it does have exposed hardware, which I hate! I didn't know that when I bought it and although it wouldn't be a deal breaker, for the money we spent - I really feel like the hardware should have been hidden.

Like I said, it is beautiful, and although the baby won't be here for several more weeks - we are happy with our choice.

lovin2shop
12-05-2003, 02:13 PM
I have the Simmons Venetian as well as the tall drawers and the changing combo unit. I get so many positive comments on it and no one can believe that it is from BRU. The crib is very sturdy and has held up really well to a very active 15 month old. Originally, I would have probably liked it better without exposed hardware, but now I never even notice. I am very impressed with this crib and furniture, it is a great value in my opinion. Generally, I am very willing to spend more to get a better product, but in this case I am very happy that I did not.

Amy (mommy to Drew 9/3/02)

aliceinwonderland
12-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I have the venetian crib and combo unit in cherry. My baby isn't here yet, but the crib is set up. I have to agree with previous posters, thiis crib DOES NOT rattle!! That was one of my main concerns, so I shook the thing well several times, and it is very solid.

It is also, in my humble opinion, a very pretty piece of furniture. I just love it, what can I say!!

ga snyder
12-22-2003, 10:26 PM
The Pali Renee crib has the exact lines as the PBK sleigh crib except it has hidden hardware (PBK has ugly plastic sliding pieces), it doesn't have a hideous little sign on the bottom rail that says "push" and is much, much better quality. Plus it's about $100 cheaper and available in more colors. Go to http://www.cloud9web.com/pali6.htm to see a picture. We bought ours at The Baby's Room (which I think is USA Baby or Baby USA in other cities) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! So much nicer than PBK.

Imperia
12-23-2003, 02:14 AM
I know other peopel have said the Simmons didn't rattle when tehy set it up, so prehaps everywhere I have seen it, it has been incorrectly set up...my husbadn really loved the Simmons Ventian in cherry, but I didn't like how flimsy it felt (it rattled!) and I had a REALLY hard time with the rail release (my husband did not). The Simmons crib was like that everywhere I tried it.

We ended up ordering the Pali Laurie (which I think is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen) and it solid as a rock. I will say, however, it's STILL not here (ordered it back in September which I thought was plenty of time). The store promises it will be here next week...we'll see.

Imperia