PDA

View Full Version : Favorite shower/Christmas gift???

tbaker018
12-08-2003, 01:45 PM
My best friend just informed me she is having a baby in July. I am due in April. It is the first for both of us. I want to give her something special for Christmas (baby/pregnancy related). Since I have not had my baby yet, I don't know what is special/unique. I want to treat her or the baby to something special. We don't know the sex yet, nor the theme of the nursery. I'd like to spend maybe $30-$35 (we are trying to save for our own baby on the way!).

Any ideas????

mik8
12-08-2003, 09:41 PM
If she's intending to breastfeed, maybe a basket with breastfeeding essentials? I thought it's a little more unique. Any basket with theme created by you will be great.

jennmcl39
12-09-2003, 11:53 AM
How about a nice Pampering Package? There's a line of Baby Teas that are designed for nursing and expectant moms. Lots of flavors, naturally caffeine free, cute pkg. You could do a nice gift basket with some of these and some other pampering items for mom...like Burt's Bees baby line (the bath soak is great!) I sell the Baby Teas in my shop and lots of people buy it for moms-to-be. You can order it online at Carnelian Rose Tea Company (that's not me, BTW...I order from them!) And Burt's Bees is available at lots of stores. Should be easy to make up a nice gift basket in your price range!

jennifer13
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
You know, on a different note, you could do something like make your own gift certificates for a date for the two of you, a movie and coffee for instance. These times with your female friends are so precious- you'll miss them once the babies come.

Jennifer
Mom to Norah 5/23/03

Momof3Labs
12-10-2003, 12:06 AM
How about if you buy belly cast kits for both of you? You could do casts of your bellies at the same time - or wait and do hers closer to her due date! I think that would be fun!

Lynnie
12-10-2003, 11:55 AM
This is not unique at all, but the one thing we couldn't have managed without was our fisher price kick n play bouncer. The baby LOVED it, and sometimes, rocking him up and down in it was the only way we could get him to sleep. And when he got older, he really liked the cause and effect of kicking the bottom and watching the lights and music go on. At two months, when we visited a friend who had a regular bouncy seat, he kept kicking the bottom and then looking around to figure out why the music and lights didn't go off. We had to take it everywhere.

...so maybe you won't want to get this for Christmas, since it is boring, but you could consider it for when the baby is born.

a pregnancy massage by a therapist trained to do maternity massage would be nice, but would probably run a little more $$

another cool gift i got was one of those giant exercise balls that you can blow up. it is good to do stretching exercises on, and is supposed to help with labor, and after the baby is born you can sit on it and bounce with the baby. (then later, the babies love it too) that and some nice lotion or cream would be a nice treat

(can you tell i don't feel like working at the moment....)

congrats and good luck !

cmferrara
12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
IMHO.. everyone wants to give you something special for your shower and personally we ended up still needing quite a few of the essential items like bathing things, bedding and bottles. I am a bit more practical and really appreciated the items that we needed for the baby. I would possibly consider a nice diaper bag (if you know her taste) and fill it will essentials... bottles, burp cloths, pacifiers (if she's not opposed to them), baby wipes, etc.. even maybe sleepers.. I know we received a lot of clothing, but not many things that the baby will be able to wear right away. Another nice gift we did receive were picture frames with coupons for free sitting and pictures which we will definately take advantage of!
Hope that helps :O)
Christie
Annapolis,MD
due January 27, 2003

TaChapm2
12-16-2003, 12:49 PM
I would get both the mother and the baby a special book. Since your friend isn't very far along a nice book about pregnancy or motherhood would be great. I loved reading everything I could when I was pregnant. You could also get the baby a few classic books and start filling it's bookshelf. We loved getting books for our son that had a special message inside from the person who gave it to him.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

ghs517
12-16-2003, 07:47 PM
I agree with Christie - my favorite gifts were the most practical! Our adopted daughter arrived with just a few days' notice, and while the many picture frames, pink bears, etc., were very nice, the things that I would definitely use (clothes, diapers, laundry detergent, etc.) were most helpful. Or, the pampering idea is nice, also.

Best wishes to you and your friend!
Gwen

jubilee
12-17-2003, 12:36 AM
I will just say the number 1 best thing I received as a shower gift was the Fisher Price Aquarium bouncer... it's the only way I got a shower each day!

The top thing I never got, but would have loved (and it's unique) is a shopping cart cover, like a Buggy Bagg or whatever style is best. I know people on this site know which cover is best, so you can ask or do a search.

samiam
12-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Not a Christmas idea, but one for after the baby is born - my favorite shower item (I adopted my baby so my shower was after he arrived) was "My Own Name" book from http://www.iseeme.com/ - it's a personalized book with the baby's date of birth, and animals spelling out his/her name. It's absolutely precious and I'll be buying lots of them for friends in the future.

ethansmom
12-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Have you seen the post from Momof3labs showing her B&W collage? I think a great gift would be a certificate (and pic of Lori's collage) for the same. It would be inexpensive to take the pics, and you could do your own matting or just buy a frame with 9 sections. I've seen them at pottery barn and linens and more (although I'm sure you could find them at many places).

I definitely wanted to do one of my DS, but never got around to it. Pics of the baby as a newborn are so precious, but often mom just isn't up to it...I know it's one thing I regret not planning for beforehand.

luvtoshop
12-19-2003, 12:12 AM
I would agree that essential items are great:

-burp cloths (I loved the ones from www.beverlyhillsburpclub.com--or you can even make your own. Dress up diapers with ribbon and fabric)
-Bouncy Seat -- Gotta love em!
-Gift certificate to Motherwear.com if she'll be nursing.
-robe to wear at the hospital
-a collection of diapers, ointment, etc.

If you could find someone to go in on the gift--my favorite blanket was a Little Giraffe chenille blanket. Pricey but worth it.

Good luck!