PDA

View Full Version : Bookcase for Nursery

PattiB
12-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience with using a bookcase in the nursery? I'd very much like to get one since we have an extra space for it and we have decided to forego the hutch we bought for the top of the dresser until we no longer need to use the dresser as a changing table. So it would be great to have the shelf space for books, toys, etc.

Does anyone have a particular type they would recommend and is there a problem with tipping? I've seen some prior postings that referred to cute bookcases but they seemed as though they wouldn't be very stable if the baby eventually started climbing on it.

Thanks!!

emmiem
12-08-2003, 03:23 PM
We bought the dollhouse bookcase from Pottery Barn. It comes with an anti-tipping kit which attaches it to the wall. You can also buy the same kit from any home improvement store.
Emmie

mik8
12-08-2003, 09:48 PM
There are anti-tip brackets that are meant for furnitures you can buy at practically any baby stores. We have a bookcase in DD's room and is such a great added storage for books, toys, etc... Just make sure you put those brackets. We haven't done it yet as our DD has not reached the cruising stage yet but it's going to be soon.

brigmaman
12-09-2003, 09:21 AM
We just received this one from www.onestepahead.com. It is one of ds' Christmas presents. I like that the books are face forward in the sling, so ds can choose one without taking every book off the shelf. I am hoping it will also be easy for him to put them back. We do a lot of reading (ds' choice!) and so I wanted the shelf to be kid-friendly.
Good luck!
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp?lGen=detail&itemID=1272&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=117&iSubCat=27199&iProductID=1272&change=117

amp
12-09-2003, 11:32 AM
We have a bookcase in our nursery and it looks great! We are fully aware that it's stability is not great and that as DS grows and starts pulling up, he will use this piece of furniture to do so. We plan to anchor the bookcase (and other pieces of furniture) to the wall. You can purchase anchoring equipment at your local home store (Lowe's, Home Depot, and maybe even Target/Walmart). I don't have one to recommend since we had one made by a friend of ours.