PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with the height/dimensions of kid's dressers/chests/hutches

Jennymarie
12-17-2003, 04:47 AM
I shopped at a store that carries Morigeau, Ragazzi and Pali today, and I'm kind of frustrated with the dimensions/styles of a lot of the pieces they sell.

I want two basic things: 1: A dresser that can be used as a changing table, and 2: Shelving of some sort - either a hutch for the dresser that can be used at the same time as the changer OR a freestanding bookshelf. Because of floor space constraints, and because I have visions of a toddler clearing the bookshelves or climbing them, I would prefer the hutch. The kid's rooms have ample closet space, so what we really need is some drawers, shelves, and when they get older, desks.

I figured out that a dresser w/ mirror in a kid's size is usually 30"-33" high, and that's way too low for an adult to use as a changer (my husband is 6'1" and I'm 5'7"). If you buy this low kiddie dresser, you have to fork out almost $200 more to get the elevating "changer." Total waste.

So I figure, scratch the idea of trying to use the changer/dresser as a kid's dresser later, spend a bit more on a 4 drawer dresser now that's appx. 36"-38" high and get a hutch to go with it. Plan on buying a wide/low kid size dresser w/mirror later on. It seems to me that if the hutch is tall enough and the dresser is deep enough to accommodate one of those "big" changing pads, you should be able to adjust the shelves up so they don't bump you or baby. Would you believe that none of the manufacturers above make what I'm describing? Many manufacturers make this as a hi/lo dresser/hutch combo, but those dual height dressers are just impractical - you can't use them as an adult dressers later on, and they're UGLY!

It seems to me that the manufacturers design their furniture just to get you to buy more pieces and outgrow them faster. Does anyone know of a good manufacturer that makes a slightly higher dresser with a HIGH, adjustable two shelf hutch?

amp
12-17-2003, 10:32 AM
I guess I don't find my hi/lo style dresser impractical, unusable as a grown-up piece or ugly. I figure, later, when it's not being used as a changing table, it just leaves more room for my kid to put his stuff. And, we have a bookshelf in the room, which looks really nice and holds lots of stuff. I have put things he can/should get to on the lower shelves and stuff I don't want him pulling off, up higher. It works, IMHO.

jec2
12-17-2003, 04:56 PM
I love my hi-low combo. But, when I first started shopping I did not like their look very much. I don't know why/how my opinion changed, but it did. We have a Morigeau hi-low dresser with three shelves and a cupboard on the "hi" part. There is a hutch too, but I haven't bought it yet. Once you put the hutch on the hi-low unit you cannot obviously tell that it is a changer, IMO. I don''t think this piece screams baby as I once did. HTH