PDA

View Full Version : Play yards with bassinet/changer

nicoleflynn
12-19-2003, 02:09 AM
Are play yards with bassinet and changer useful? I don't want to get a separate bassinet but I am not sure if these 1/2 or 3/4 size bassinets useful? Do people buy these type of products just for travel or can play yard be used at home, too? I am thinking of one of these three, any comments on them?

Tahoe Nursery Care Center & Playard LXI
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005EBB2/002-4660705-9329641?v=glance

Fisher-Price Close to Me Care Center
http://www.babygenie.com/product_details.asp?pid=4330

Sweet Dreams Deluxe Pack n' Play - Clarion
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069BAQ/ref=pd_sim_na_1/002-4660705-9329641?v=glance&s=baby

amp
12-19-2003, 11:54 AM
We have a Graco PNP that has a full bassinet & changing table (French Bear pattern). You are supposed to remove the changing portion when baby is in the bassinet, but honestly, when he was very young and not mobile, we just put him in the half of the bassinet that wasn't covered (yes, I know, it's a hazard, but we did it anyway since it was in the living room where we were all the time anyway). Since we were able to work it that way, I think you could get buy just fine with a 1/2 or 3/4 bassinet, but it's not the only option. And removing the changing table part is easy. It just sits on top of the PNP and it folds so it can go underneath the PNP or beside/behind it or wherever you want it to for easy storage and use. You don't need to necessarily get Graco for the full sized bassinet or the easily removable changing table. That's just the one we have and have been very happy with it.

momma_boo
12-19-2003, 12:58 PM
We found that our pack and play to be invaluable (we had a Graco one). We ended up putting it in our living room and using all the components (we have a changing table and 3/4 bassinet). It was great especially when she was a newborn since I basically lived in our living room. It would have driven me nuts to take her upstairs every time she needed a diaper change. We initially used it for all of her naps during the day, just putting her in her crib at night. I think having her nap in the bassinet in the living room helped her to learn to sleep with all the hubbub going on around her.

I would recommend getting a full-sized bassinet. We ended up having to stop using the bassinet part sooner than I would have liked b/c she got too long for it!

We recently packed it up to make room for the X-mas tree and I do miss having the changing table part (although she was getting close to be too squirmy for that). Now that she's crawling, she didn't like being in the playpen part anymore. Before crawling, it was great to have a safe spot to put her down with all her toys while I was in the kitchen or running to the bathroom.

Jacksonvol
12-19-2003, 04:06 PM
I did not want to spend the money for a bassinet either. We have the Graco PNP with the changing table and full bassinet and we love it. Our house is one story, so stairs were not an issue, but going from one end of the house to the other is a pain. We had it in our room for the first 6 weeks and since I felt like I lived there it was great. It is now at her sitter's and she also likes it since she does not have to bend all the way down to the bottom to pick her up. Once she outgrows the bassinet and changing table we look forward to a lot of use in the living room as a play yard. We have not traveled yet, but I would bring this with us as it does not take up much room and I think it would be safer than hotel cribs I have seen. I think this is one of the most useful items we have.

TracyBee
12-19-2003, 07:15 PM
We have the graco PNP with the 3/4 bassinet and the changing pad. We have a one story house and to be honest, the changing pad is way more trouble than its worth - especially if you are going to be travelling with it. We are going on a trip in Jan. and not even taking the changing pad - it's bulky and we have never used it. But, like I said we have a one story house and it was just as easy to go into the next room to change her than it was to keep the bulky PNP chaning pad set up. I would probably think differently if we had a two story house.

The bassinet was nice for the short period of time we used it - my daughter is very long and outgrew it at 3 months old, but we did use that feature frequently (actually during all her naps).

TraciG
12-20-2003, 01:48 PM
baby is 7 weeks old, we always use the changing pad & when she used to sleep in it ( she hates it, likes only to sleep with us or the car seat ) we never took it off. It's a nice PNP has music & vibrates if u want, we'll try to put Sydney in it again to sleep eventually. The Graco PNP's are supposed to be the best ones.

new_mommy25
12-20-2003, 03:51 PM
We have the Baby Trend play yard and are very happy with it. It is in our living room and we use the changing table almost 100% of the time. You do not need to remove the changing table like you do with some Graco's. Our baby slept in the bassinete for naps when he was very young but now he prefers to nap on my bed surrounded with pillows. We recieved ours as a gift but if I had bought it myself I probably would buy the Graco. The Baby Trend is a pita to set up. It's not a problem for us because it's permanently set up in our living room, but if you are planning on using it for a lot of travel then you may have a problem. It does come with a nice carry bag if you do travel but I've never used it.

sarsah
12-20-2003, 04:18 PM
We have a Graco Pn'P that we used with DS#1 (now 3 1/2) and with DS #2 (now 7 months old). We used it a lot when both kids were very little. Now that DS#2 is 7 months old, we don't use it very much. He is not at all interested in being in the play yard -- would much rather scoot around on the floor. We will probably use it for travel or if someone comes to visit and needs a place for their baby to sleep, so mostly we use it in our home.

I really liked the changing table and hardly ever removed it, even when DS was sleeping in the bassinette. Now I change DS on the floor since he's so squirmy.

Sarah......Jason & Devin's Mommie

Tracey
12-21-2003, 02:07 AM
We used a Pack-n-play with a 3/4 bassinet and changing table. When Ava was a newborn, we had it set up in the living room. We did not put her in the bassinet portion until she was about 2-3 months old. Before that, we used a regular bassinet on rollers. This was great because we could roll the newborn beside the bed, back into the den, or wherever. She outgrew the traditional bassinet at 2-3 months because she started rolling and banging her arms on the sides. I am so glad that I had both. We still use the PNP changing station to this day at 8.5 months. We did not move her to her bed until about 4 months. Hope that helps!

nicoleflynn
12-21-2003, 03:18 AM
Hi Angie,

Thanks for the reply.

Is bassinet in Baby Trends too small? It is supposed to be 1/2 size and I am not sure if that's good enough.

Nicole.

nicoleflynn
12-21-2003, 03:20 AM
Thanks everyone for taking time to reply and valuable information. I appreciate it.

Happy Holidays.

Nicole.

esianoyam3
12-21-2003, 07:31 PM
We bought the Pack and Play without the changing insert, and saved 30 dollars. We haven't missed the changer insert at all! In fact, we have a changing pad in DD's nursery, and only use it half the time. We typically just change her wherever we are (bedroom, living room, etc).

The bassinet feature is nice, though, and it's high enough up that you can conveniently use it for diaper changes...