PDA

View Full Version : Until what age does a child sleep in a crib?

nofeea
12-24-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm sure there's a wide range here, but when do most kids move into regular beds? DD will be about 19 mos. old when #2 arrives and I'm trying to figure out if I'll need another crib or if she'll be ready for a bed. Any insights? Thanks.

toomanystrollers
12-24-2003, 05:03 PM
With our first, she was leap frogging out of her crib at around 23 months, so we moved her to a toddler bed. Our second (2 1/2) can easily climb out, but he is content to sleep in it and take his naps in it. Our third (6 ms.) is currently in a co-sleeper and I'm actually looking for a second hand crib for her.

HTH

Ang6
01-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi,

I have 2 kids, 17 months apart. I had the same dilemma. We bought another crib for the baby, which I now regret. My 22 month old son is getting out of his crib and we have to move him to a toddler bed. So, with having baby #2 in bassinet for the first 2-3 months, we only needed the 2nd crib for 2 months. I'd see what your oldest is doing first. If she's a climber she may be out of the crib early. In that case,maybe you can stretch out using the bassinet, use a playpen, or get a used crib until she's into a toddler bed. But you never know, she may be comfortable and not climb out ever. It's hard.

Good luck?

MinnieMouse
01-04-2004, 12:36 PM
We have a 2.5yo dd and no other children. She never slept well in her crib so we moved her out of it to a low twin bed (lower portion of a trundle set) when she was 18 or 19mo.

Dd did great in her twin bed. We put a step stool at one end to boost her up and a bed rail on the other side. We also gated the doorway to her room because we couldn't gate the top of the stairs (long story).

She would have done just as well with a toddler bed but we suspected part of the problem was her mattress, so that wouldn't have worked for us.

I would be more than comfortable moving a child over 12-15mo to a toddler bed. Or you could use a bassinet or cosleeper and then switch them when the baby is ready for the crib.

HTH

Christine