PDA

View Full Version : Convertible Crib versus non-convertible crib

amykate
01-22-2004, 05:41 PM
I am looking at cribs and am trying to decide between a "3 in 1" convertible crib versus a more standard "2 in 1" crib (converts only to a toddler bed). Which is preferred? One of my concerns with the convertible style is that I am looking at Child Craft cribs and theirs do not have drop sides. I am 5'4" and not sure I'll be able to get the baby in properly at the lower settings, especially if he/she is sleeping. The other option is a Babi Italia I like that is drop side, but I think the Child Craft quality is better. Thoughts?

Imperia
01-22-2004, 06:14 PM
In general, you really want drop sides, especially if you aren't very tall. Once you drop the mattress to the lowest position it can be difficult to put the baby in otherwise. You will also want to consider if you will be having another baby within a few years, if so, it's probably better to purchase a standard crib rather than convertible so you can reuse it. Personally, we did not get a 3 in 1 crib as by the time the baby is old enough to go to a regular bed I don't even know that I would still like the crib/bed (plus I don't like the way most 3 in 1s look at all).

Imperia

kaitlinsmommy
01-22-2004, 06:15 PM
I don't have much to offer because I am planning to put dd in a regular bed when #2 comes along so I didn't look for a convertible (although I think our Simmons could convert). I just want to say I made sure to purchase a crib that had a drop side and I've NEVER used it. I may be in the minority (and I'm 5'8") but I only put dd in her crib when she's already sleeping and I am afraid lowering or raising the side would wake her up.

yellowdogmom
01-22-2004, 06:16 PM
I had the same concerns. We ended up going with the 3 in 1 since it seemed much more useful in the long run. I'm 5'1" so like you I was worried about being able to lay a sleeping baby down. So I took measurements of the crib and did some proto-typing at home with weights (silly, I know...but hey, this is a big purchase). I decided that it was OK for me, I think you'll need to make your own decision what is comfortable for you. We got the Angel Line Dela, which is the same dimensions and style as the Childcraft at BRU. If its the same model you're looking at, its a lower style, meaning the top fromt rail came for me just up to my hip bones. So the whole thing, mattress height and all, is closer to the ground.

We're still awaiting our child's arrival, so only time will tell if my proto-typing will hole true! I figure if I do have a problem I'll get a nice (and very sturdy) step stool...or just let DH be the one to put the baby down!

Good luck! I'll be interested to hear other responses and what you decide to do.

:) Kristin
Adopting #1 from Korea

Momof3Labs
01-22-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm 5'4" and there is no way I could have a crib without a drop side now that the mattress is in the lowest position. It might be fine for someone who is taller, though.

We went with a 2-in-1 and don't even plan on using it as that - just going straight to a twin bed instead. I didn't care about the convertible feature because I'd rather pick something out that suits our children and tastes when the time comes (I didn't buy any matching nursery furniture, either).

Eloise36
01-22-2004, 11:12 PM
The drop side is very important to me because I am 5'3". I currently use the drop side a lot, even though the crib mattress is on the highest setting.

Just my 2 cents worth, we picked a "3 in 1" convertible crib because we plan to use it eventually as the bed in our guest bedroom. Also, we liked that one side of the "3 in 1" crib is a heavy duty "headboard", which seems to make the crib more sturdy than a non-convertible crib (or at least, that's our perception).

My advice would be to go with the crib you prefer :)