PDA

View Full Version : Nursing stool vs. ottoman

bburke
01-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Hi, I am looking to purchase a glider soon and wondered if an ottoman was necessary (or at least better than a nursing stool). I want to be comfortable when nursing and just rocking, but don't want to spend the extra money on the ootoman if the $25 stool works just as well. Thanks for your opinions!

brigmaman
01-25-2004, 05:37 PM
I registered for the stool instead of the ottoman, just because it was so expensive. We didn't end up using our glider much, because ds cried when we sat down. For the few times I nursed in the glider, the stool was perfect. I am actually using it now at my computer.

DebbieJ
01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Better yet--instead of spending $25 on a specialized nursing stool, register for a plastic kiddie stool for $6.99. That's what I did. No need to spend that much money on a one use product. Then your little ones can use it at the bathroom sink or wherever later on.

Deb
mommy to Brendan 12/7/03

Dcclerk
01-26-2004, 12:27 AM
On the other hand... I am thankful that I bought the gliding ottoman almost every day! For the first few months, I spent more time nursing on the couch, where the nursing stool was great. Now that we are nursing "pros", I nurse everywhere, but find that both DS and I relax best when rocking on the glider. I can rock so much better with the gliding ottoman, than without. However, I also have one that reclines, so when we're reclining, I wouldn't be able to reach a stool very well, anyway.

andie16
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a nursing stool and think it's great for nursing. We have a Dutalier glider and I got a RumbleTuff stool that matches perfectly. We have a small nursery and I thought the ottoman would take up too much room-also, the cost was a huge difference. I certainly haven't missed the ottoman and would make the same decision again.

lampes
01-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Baby isn't here yet for us either, but I did go to a store and tried out a glider with both the glider ottoman and a stationary stool and found that the height of the ottoman along with the movement was much more comfortable. So, if you can go to any store and try it out, you can tell if it would make a difference for you. I did order the ottoman because of my in store test even though before I went in, I thought the nursing stool would be fine.

Consider how much time you are going to spend in the stool. If you plan to nurse, you will spend approximately 1/2 hours to 40 minutes about 6-10 times per day feeding your baby. That's a lot of time to spend in a chair. I thought that given the amount of time I would be spending in the chair justified the extra cost of the ottoman.

mik8
01-28-2004, 01:41 PM
Nursery space plus my height (am only 5'1") were the 2 reasons we went with the nursing ottoman. I tried sitting at all the gliders in the store with the ottoman and it just didn't seem comfortable for a petite person like me (maybe it's my anatomy). I settled with the Medela nursing stool. It's comfy and doesn't take up much space in DD's room.