PDA

View Full Version : Question about crib bedding!

anutalp
01-31-2004, 01:58 PM
I have a question to you -all experienced moms. I know that it was debated in past but it's still not clear to me. Do you use bumpers with your newborn??? Do you use a quilt? Anything else, what do you put in your crib? I know that the bampers are big "no" in terms of SIDS but why everybody sell them (and pretty expensive). What about a quilt?
I'll appreciate your help.
PS Also, if it's not so difficult, please post in which outfit do you put your baby asleep.
Thanks a lot,
Ana.

Momof3Labs
01-31-2004, 04:27 PM
Quilts are a definite no-no until baby is at least 18 months, if not 2 years old. A blanket is okay if you are using it to swaddle your newborn.

We used bumpers but won't next time around. When we tried to remove them at 5-6 months, Colin didn't sleep as well without them. You really don't need them, though some parents consider them nice to have.

When Colin was a newborn (in cold Chicago) we put him to sleep in a fleece Carter's sleepsack or, when he was a little older, fleece pajamas. Now in the winter, he still sleeps in fleece pajamas. Next time, though, I will swaddle the baby for a while longer.

amp
01-31-2004, 06:01 PM
No quilts in the crib! No heavy bedding/blankets. We did use a receiving blanket for our son from the beginning. Other than that, we only used a waterproof mattress pad, then the crib sheet. We often used a sheet saver under DS's head to protect from spitup, so all we had to do was change the pad, not the sheet, in the middle of the night. We never used bumpers due to the safety hazard and the cost. We never missed them. We put our son to sleep in cotton sleepers, with and without feet, and in the summer, when it was really hot. we sometimes just put him down in the onesies and playsuits he was wearing at tht time. Now, in the cold weather, we put him to bed in fleece sleepers.

papal
01-31-2004, 06:03 PM
You would definitely stay away from the quilt. The bumpers are not recommended but people still use them and companies still sell them as part of a bedding set since they make the cribs look prettier. I am not convinced they are as dangerous as they say.. but I didn't use them for the SIDS reason as well as that they cost $$ and also, since the crib is next to our bed i wanted to be able to see the baby thru the rails. With the bumper the view would be blocked.

Night clothes..we put Leela in a cotton one piece footed pajamas or onesie and sweatpants and then swaddle her in a Miracle Blanket. Then I cover her with another blanket (since she sleeps with us at night, it is our blanket). Make sure that what the baby wears at night is not too complicated to put back on.. those night diaper changes can get tedious..if it is a footed jammie..the snaps should come all the way down so both feet can be taken out easily (unless its a Hanna zipper). I personally hated the gowns.. they always wound up being around Leela's waist and never used the sleepsack (she doesnt sleep soundly unless swaddled)...

anyway.. hth

anutalp
02-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Thank you so much for your replies.
I'm new in this wonderful forum and you're the best!
One more question: What is your opinion about Halo sleepers - which one is better: cotton or fleese? What about Carters?
Thanks again,
Ana.

Momof3Labs
02-01-2004, 10:12 AM
The Reality Layette forum has some good discussions on sleep sacks, like this one:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=10955&mesg_id=10955&page=2

You can do a search to see all of the discussions.

anutalp
02-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Thanks a lot, Lori.
The discussion was great.
Ana.

JenCA
02-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Yes, we use bumpers in our daughter's crib, but we do not use blankets/quilts. We dress her in fleece zippered pajamas and a Halo sleepslack.