PDA

View Full Version : question about waterproofing from 1st time mom

lmahn
02-05-2004, 03:26 PM
I've read a lot of posts about different strategies for keeping the crib mattress dry (waterproof pads, layering sheets and pads, etc.), and first I just want to say THANKS to all the experienced moms for being so helpful on these message boards. It really helps decrease the anxiety for a first-time mom to know that there is so much help out there.
I feel a bit stupid asking this question, but do I need to put anything under the sheet if the mattress itself is waterproof? We have a Colgate Classica, and it seems like it is totally waterproof.
Right now, I just have the mattress in there with Land's End sheets on top (love the sheets!!). We tried to put an Ultimate Crib sheet on top of the regular sheet, but it didn't really work well with our crib -- it wouldn't snap down tightly or stay flat, and seemed like a safety hazard. I should also say that we will have a crib tent on top of the crib to keep the cats out.

Do any of you just use the waterproof mattress and a sheet, or am I asking for trouble if I do that?

Thanks!

~ Lisa

Mom to Rachel Loraine (due 3/29/04)

Momof3Labs
02-05-2004, 05:10 PM
I'd recommend some type of thin mattress pad. If you have a big diaper mess (or other kind of mess), it gives you a little more absorbency, and is easier to wash up than the mattress itself. Plus, I personally would prefer to have more than a thin sheet between myself and a layer of thick plastic.

Not that you *need* a mattress pad, but I do think that it is nice to have one.

amp
02-05-2004, 05:12 PM
I agree with Lori. We have a waterproof mattress pad on ours, so when DS spits up or vomits, or has a leaky diaper, it gives one more layer to hold it. When I strip the bed, I don't have to worry about cleaning off the top of the mattress and can just put on another pad and/or sheet. Plus, we liked the extra quilting under the sheet. The mattress is pretty plasticky, so it's nice to have a softer layer under there that is still safe.

toomanystrollers
02-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Lisa,
I would suggest 2 waterproof mattress pads - we have a couple from Walmart that work just fine.

PJAlama
02-06-2004, 01:26 PM
to give the opposite side -- i just use a sheet over the firm waterproof mattress, too scared by SIDS warnings to make things any cushier. He sleeps fine. Of course my kid's still breastfed exclusively, so i don;t know how things will be if he starts having real stinky poops when he starts solid food. that may be harder to get off the mattress. but there's always "nature's miracle"
(available in pet stores) to dissolve organic wastes by enzyme action.

toomanystrollers
02-06-2004, 03:34 PM
I wouldn't worry about a waterproof mattress pad & SIDS - the pads are thin - no thick cushioning.

momofboys
02-12-2004, 01:07 AM
When my 1st child was born, I did the quiilted waterproof mattresspad, sheet, drool pad thing. It was a lot of extra work! I only use a sheet now. My baby (7 months)doesn't really spit up in his crib, he has never vomitted there, nor have his luvs ever leaked.... If I'd have a middle of the night mess, its really easy to just pull off the sheet. A quick swab with a clorox wetwipe is good for the moment before you put on the new sheet. You can then clean it properly in the morning. I remember the times with my eldest son (13 years old now) when I'd take off the drool pad, & sheet & then have to struggle with the waterproof extra liner that was bulkier & harder to pull off then the sheet. THis was after dealing with a crying, soaked baby who was finally sleeping again & waiting to get back into his crib. I also had a lot more laundry that way. As my family has grown I've found that streamlining & eliminating alot of extra gasgets makes my life easier (& cheaper!).

apfb
02-12-2004, 05:44 PM
I fully agree with Momofboys about streamlining. We only have a fitted sheet over a mattress pad (not waterproof), and the two work fine over the mattress.

You might notice that many babies usually do NOT poop while they are sleeping. They might poop when they are awake and hanging out in the crib. The disposable diapers are very absorbent and usually don't leak any pee.

In the 11 months I've been a mom, we had ONE vomiting incident and ONE poop leakage (@ 1-2 mon with Huggies) in the crib. I don't recall a single incident of pee leakage and don't recall any poop leakage while baby's asleep.

1st time mom to Maya the Mighty b. 3/2003