PDA

View Full Version : Be careful with used cribs!!!! My experience

sdbc
02-07-2004, 10:51 AM
I just wanted to tell everybody my experience with buying a used crib this week. We got a great deal on a 4 year old Simmons crib from a nice family. They didn't have the instructions, but it looked like all the pieces to the crib were there, and it seemed pretty easy to put together. No biggie.

Because of the warning in Baby Bargains, I decided to get the instructions "just in case". I have to say, Simmons was wonderful, and I got the instructions in the mail about 3 days after I emailed them!! I highly recommend them for customer service! They also let me know that there were no safety recalls on this crib, which was reassuring.

In any event, after reading the instructions I found that we were missing a part called the "STABILIZING BAR"! This piece seems like it is very important for the safety and stability of the crib, and without the instructions, we wouldn't know we were missing it, because the crib can be assembled without it. Luckily, Simmons can send us a replacement part for $25 (which still would mean we got a good deal on the crib).

So, what I'm trying to get across is: PLEASE, IF YOU BUY A USED CRIB, MAKE SURE TO OBTAIN THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE MANUFACTURER! It could be an accident waiting to happen if you don't have the instructions.

Sue

yellowdogmom
02-07-2004, 04:50 PM
WOW, good advice. Thanks for posting this, Sue!

I suppose the same should really go for anything used that needs to be re-assembled. It would be so easy to miss something like that and assume it was complete.

Again, thanks for the excellent advice.

:) Kristin
Adopting #1 from Korea