PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed with how HARD the Colgate foam mattress is

Jennymarie
02-09-2004, 03:39 AM
I know firm is important for SIDS, ets., but I felt the recommended Colgate foam mattress at the store the other day and I thought it was way too hard. My mom is a pediatric nurse and she said this mattress was MUCH harder than the foam mattresses they use at the hospital.

I like the idea of foam for the weight. But is there a slightly more comfortable foam mattress out there? I just can't see putting my kid to sleep on something I would never be able to sleep on myself...

amp
02-09-2004, 12:12 PM
You aren't the only one to find that and other mattresses too hard. Do a search on foam mattress here to see what else you can find. I can't help since we have a coil mattress.

sdbc
02-10-2004, 05:57 PM
I agree with you about the hardness of the foam mattresses. The coil mattresses that are considered safe feel softer. What about putting a thin quilted liner on the mattress--you know, the waterproof ones?

JenCA
02-10-2004, 06:57 PM
We have the Colgate foam mattress and chose it based on its safety rating. I agree that it's a bit hard, but all the SIDS research/information points to harder mattresses being better for babies. I have a quilted mattress pad cover for it, and coupled with DD's flannel crib sheets, it's actually pretty comfy. DD sleeps on it just fine.

Katia
02-11-2004, 12:04 AM
We also chose Colgate for safety reasons and have been happy with it. It is very firm, especially when you compare it to the mattresses most adults use. However, it's not a lot different from other firm surfaces babies happily fall asleep on -- PNP bassinets, carseats, etc.

Another perk for foam mattresses in general is that they are ridiculously lightweight. I just pop the whole thing out of the crib when I need to change the sheet. Even when I was 9 months pregnant, it was so easy!

NYmom2be
02-11-2004, 01:33 AM
We found a good compromise for our 2nd child. We bought the Colgate Classica 3 foam mattress. It was explained to us as the hard Classica 1 mattress with a softer backside for when the child is over 1 year old and the risk of SIDS is over. I believe they referred to it as a dual zone mattress. The softer backside is noticeably softer and our 2 year old has always been comfortable on it. We bought it online www.childrensfurniture.com. I looked it up as I was typing this and noticed they are offering free shipping. We got hooked on the #1 rating of the Classica 1 in Consumer Reports, and thought the upgrade to the dual zone feature of the Classica 3 made sense. Good luck and good sleeping.

american_mama
02-15-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a different all-foam mattress that I love: the Kolcraft Deluxe Heavy Density Foam from Burlington Coat Factory. It was only about $30, one of the cheapest I saw when it was bought in spring 2002, but I think it is great. Very firm, but not too firm, light, fits cribs tightly, waterproof cover. My daughter has always loved it. I rested on it on the floor for the first time last week, and found it very comfortable, and it did not cave in under my weight even after 5 minutes.

And, as others have said, remember that babies will fall asleep on much harder surfaces and be perfectly happy.

-- Karen

HallsofVA
02-18-2004, 01:20 PM
We also bought the Classica III and after a month of sleeping in a softer bassinet, our 5-week old made the transition to the crib w/no problems. We do have a mattress pad on under the sheet.

hellokitty
02-20-2004, 04:16 PM
I have the kolcraft foam mattress too, the one from target and I think it is just right, not too hard, not too soft. Baby is still mostly sleeping in our basinett, but he does nap in his crib too and he has never had problems falling asleep and looks comfy. For the price and quality, I think it was a good deal!