PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between Sorelle (pine), Berg (pine) or PJ Kids cribs and c...

jennyriver
02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
I have seen in person,and like the choices from all 3 of these makers, but am getting nervous about buying pine furniture after reading a few posts. We really want pieces that will last a lifetime (a childhood, anyway). Nicks here and there don't bother us, but really, I'm leaning towards a bit darker finish for the very reason that it won't show every scuff for the rest of time. PJ Kids seems to make theirs in either birch or ash but only in white or natural. I find the cribs to all be comparable in quality (yet find few, if any reviews on PJ Kids) with a bit more variety in the quality of the case pieces. As for price, Sorelle is lowest, with Berg being next and PJ highest...only confusing us even more! Has anyone had experience with any of these items, especially the Pine items from Sorelle (crib is called "Rosa" and case pcs. called "Ideal")? I have read lots of positive reviews on the Berg items but am fretting over the pine...maybe needlessly! Is pine really worth the prices, if a comparable set in birch or ash is available?

Thanks so much!

Momof3Labs
02-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Sorelle does not manufacture their own case pieces, so MAKE SURE that they match before you place your order. Our crib and changing table (sable finish) clashed dreadfully, so we returned the changing table and ordered a different one.

Imperia
02-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Pine is usually used in cheaper pieces because it does nick and ding more easily since it's a soft wood. I also dislike the pin holes you often see in pine. I would really reccomend a hard wood if you want it to keep looking good year after year. And actually, it has been my experience that dark stains actually show scrapes and dings much more than light to medium stains. (Consider if you have ever had a black car how it shows scratches vs a white car). I wouldn't reccomend white because that shows dark scuffs, dirt and stains, but natural or a medium tone might be better. Dark stains if scratched show pretty obviously. It's kind of a toss up.

Imperia

Jennymarie
02-12-2004, 08:55 PM
I think I've decided on a pine changing table from Berg painted white. But I got a maple crib.

Here's my thought: the changing table is kind of a throwaway/giveaway piece that won't get the same level of use/abuse, so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. Its painted white, so the nicks won't show too badly and I think the finish is tougher than a straight stain.

I want a much sturdier, stronger, nick-proof crib, for safety, and because I think it will get more abuse. So I chose the maple. Having had pine furniture in the past, I can really see a pine crib getting chewed up by a kid - its just too soft.

If you do go with pine, DO NOT get a dark stain. We have some cherry stained pine end tables, and they look like crap after two years. Every scratch and dent shows the light wood beneath it. Some of the lighter stains won't show the marks as badly, and some of the white finishes are so hard (even laminated feeling) that I think they are more resistant to scratches and nicks.

Good luck!