PDA

View Full Version : Question about Berg cribs - is the drop gate TOO easy? Can baby drop by themsleves?

jennyriver
02-11-2004, 09:46 PM
I was just at Baby's Room (USA Baby) to look at the Berg furniture and loved how quiet and easy the drop gate was...until I noticed it can be done with one hand and no knee! I tried two different models and found this to be true with both. While it was a quiet, soft glide, all I had to do was pull up and out to drop the gate. At first I thought, how likely would it be that a child in this crib would A) figure out these 2 steps and B) actually be able to do this but the gate WAS pretty light and then I realized that a baby would just need to be lying down in the crib, with his/her feet pushing the gate up and out for this to happen...then down comes the gate and, most likely, out comes the baby. Has ANYONE had this problem with a Berg (or any other crib, for that matter)? I have tried this same "trick" on other cribs and have never been able to lower the gate with one hand like I was the Berg. Surprising because it seems SO sturdy otherwise. Am I overly paranoid? I just can't help but imagine getting this crib, thinking it won't ever happen to us and then it does...

heathkat
02-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Hi there,
We have a Berg crib, and have never had the problem you mentioned. I am in no way able to put the side down without using my knee. Our crib is two years old, so perhaps they have changed this feature, but most likely it was assembled that way in store to make it easier for customers(???) Anyway, I would ask the manufacturer. We love our crib, and it still looks brand new even though our son is twenty months today. We just purchased a second crib today (not a Berg) for our baby due in April, and while fine, it is nowhere as nice as the Berg! (First babies are spoiled!)
Heather