PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about Child Craft/Legacy, AP Ind. and Basset furniture quality...

jennyriver
02-12-2004, 12:38 PM
My parents are members of a discount club that carries these 3 makers and I'm wondering if other have any of their pieces and what they think of them. I have seen some Legacy stuff at Babys Room which looks well made but the drawers were hit and miss on sliding quality. The cribs looked reaclly nice and sturdy and had super quiet drop sides. Anyone have anything to say for or against these guys?

THANKS!

sanggol
02-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question. I won't be able to help much, but my dh and I are considering the same thing. I did go into Baby's Room and they said that Legacy are changing their drawers so that they will open smoothly. When we tried to open them, it was loud and clunky. I guess that was a safety mechanism, so that if the dresser were to tip over the contents of the drawer would not fall out.

I did notice that it seems like the Child Craft cribs that I've seen can still see the hardware. Seems like the Legacy line is the ones that are now hidden.

I hope you get a lot of responses!

Thanks for asking the question.

Anna

tarahsolazy
02-13-2004, 01:36 AM
We have a Legacy crib, and it seems very sturdy, and has a fairly quiet drop side with hidden hardware. It was pretty easy for my DH to set up. It also has a drawer, which I wouldn't have ordered separately or paid more for, but it came with, and the price was very reasonable. The drawer is MDF, but that really doesn't bother me. Our baby is coming sometime soon, so no real use experience, but its solid as a rock.

lmahn
02-13-2004, 02:58 PM
My husband and I recently bought a Legacy crib and combo changing table/dresser. We really like both pieces a lot. The crib is very solid, has hidden hardware, a very quiet drop side, a drawer underneath (I like the drawer for storing sheets, blankets, ect.), and my husband assembled it without too much trouble. The dresser is also very solid. It is weighted on the bottom, which makes it very hard to tip over. The drawers also have a nice feature where they stop about an inch before closing completely, so that it is harder for little fingers to get pinched. The bottoms of the drawers are laminated particle board (I think that is what it is called), but very sturdy. I actually like the laminated bottoms because it makes it less likely that clothes will get snagged.
We had only one problem. The first dresser we bought had some cracks in the wood, but we called the store and they brought another dresser out right away, without any hassle. I think the first dresser was either dropped or exposed to high heat in a warehouse. The one we have now is great.

Hope this helps. We also looked at a Berg set and a Sorelle set before deciding on the Legacy. We chose the Legacy partly because we liked the style, but mostly because of the safety features on the dresser.

~ Lisa

Mom to Rachel Loraine (due 3/29/04)

MichelleL
02-14-2004, 08:15 PM
We have Legacy baby furniture & crib. I really love all the pieces. They are very well made and high quality. The crib has a very quiet drop down side and the furniture is fantastic. Our set (Madison collection) is real wood on the bottom of the drawers. When I was choosing this set I wasn't sure I liked the way the drawers rolled but now find it fantastic with my 18month old ds! He tries constantly to pull them open and is unable too (compared to every other drawer in our house)! Also when I have the drawer open he likes to help me close it and as a previous poster mentioned the drawer stops about a 1/2 inch shy which is great for the sweet little fingers. I am very happy with the way these drawers are now and wouldn't choose anything other than Legacy for future baby/child's furniture. Which, I am trying to do right now but we've moved and I may have to order it from out of state and pay an arm and a leg for shipping! But, in my opinion it will be worth it! What is the name of the discount club you mentioned in your post?

Thanks & Good Luck! :)

Michelle L

lmahn
02-14-2004, 08:20 PM
Hi Michelle,

I noticed from your signature that our babies are due at about the same day! Good luck and best wishes to you.

~ Lisa

Mom to Rachel Loraine (due 3/29/04)

MichelleL
02-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Thanks Lisa! Same to you! This is such a fun time!
:D

Michelle

jennyriver
02-15-2004, 12:53 AM
Local to Chicagoland area (it's in Schaumburg, to be exact) but it's called International Home Furnishings. Turns out they only carry sell the Childcraft furniture, and no longer do Basset but now have Status. So I'm back to square one!

MichelleL
02-16-2004, 03:20 AM
OH! Bummer for me! I live in Oregon but thanks for the info anyway!

Good luck on your quest! :)

MichelleL

Second time parents
02-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Hi. FYI. The safety "bump" on the legacy dressers is for when a toddler tries to open the drawer when full, the little bump prevents the child from opening it. The Legacy line is a fantastic line and they stand behind their product.

mik8
02-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Don't have a Legacy crib but got this e-mail just today:

For Immediate Release Firm's Hotline: (888) 844-2674
February 24, 2004 CPSC Recall Hotline:
(800) 638-2772
Release # 04-087 CPSC Media Contact:
(301) 504-7908

CPSC, Child Craft Industries Announce Recall of Cribs

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in
cooperation with the manufacturers named below, today announced
voluntary recalls of the following consumer products. Consumers should
stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
(To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC's
Web site at www.cpsc.gov.)

Name of product: Legacy Cribs
Units: 3,500
Manufacturer/Importer: Child Craft Industries, of Salem, Ind.
Hazard: The slats on the drop side rail can loosen and detach. When this

happens, the space created by the gaps can allow a baby to become
entangled, strangle or fall.
Incidents/Injuries: There have been 12 reports of the slats on the drop
side rail completely detaching. No injuries have been reported.
Description: The recalled Legacy cribs include model numbers 16741,
21021, 23111 and 28721. The model numbers are printed on the bottom rail

of the head or foot board. The full-size cribs were made from ash and
maple woods, and sold in a variety of colors. All carry the Legacy Brand

label.
Sold at: Juvenile furniture stores nationwide from March 2002 through
January 2004 for between $399 and $549.
Manufactured in: China between March 2002 and March 2003.
Remedy: Consumers should stop using the cribs and contact Child Craft to

receive a replacement drop side rail.
Consumer Contact: Call Child Craft toll-free at (888) 844-2674 between 8

a.m. and 5 p.m. ET or visit the firm's Web site at
www.childcraftindustries.com.

To view this press release online, use the following link:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04087.html

Second time parents
02-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi there. This is just for 4 cribs for a span of 1 year.

joliu10
02-25-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I actually just posted my experience w/ Legacy crib. We are responsible for the recall that is happening w/ ChildCraft (see post). I would recommend that you consider other crib manufacturers over ChildCraft. What I learned was that my dropside fell apart because the slabs were never glued nor nailed at all. ChildCraft told me that the dropsides are manufactured in China and thus they have no direct control over the quality.

Hope this helps,
Joanne

lampes
02-25-2004, 09:06 PM
I've no experience with Basset cribs but the DH and I bought a dining room table and hutch from Bassett about 4 years ago. It was delivered 3 different times and each time, the furniture had flaws such as the table being warped and not meeting evenly in the center or the doors of the hutching falling off. The 3d time, the delivery guy wouldn't even take the set off the truck because the damage was so extensive. We demanded a refund from JC Penney (which we received) and have never bought any Bassett furniture since that time. I wouldn't trust them to build a decent crib.

thes4walls
02-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, I just did a lot of leg work; went to several furniture stores, banged on every draw, and dropped every side-rail. I think I'm going with the Bridgeport Legacy line. The Legacy line is sturdy, has that neat safety feature on the drawers (even if it does make them noisier), and the styles are very attractive. The only thing I can complain about at this point is that this set is about $200 more for each dresser just because it's the only one that comes in "Vintage White".

I went to Baby Depot and found another attractive set: the Basset "Terace Park". My husband and I like country style furniture, and this set is white with Wainscot panels on the doors. The dressers are good and solid, but the draws aren't on any track! There's some kind of putty substance that the drawers sit on -- no rollers or track on the sides or bottom. I don't understand how a company would skimp on a necessity like this.

Well, I'm ordering my Bridgeport set this week. Wish me luck!

JoAnn (due 7/13/04)

joliu10
02-26-2004, 01:15 PM
>Well, I just did a lot of leg work; went to several furniture
>stores, banged on every draw, and dropped every side-rail. I
>think I'm going with the Bridgeport Legacy line. The Legacy
>line is sturdy, has that neat safety feature on the drawers
>(even if it does make them noisier), and the styles are very
>attractive. The only thing I can complain about at this point
>is that this set is about $200 more for each dresser just
>because it's the only one that comes in "Vintage White".
>
>I went to Baby Depot and found another attractive set: the
>Basset "Terace Park". My husband and I like country style
>furniture, and this set is white with Wainscot panels on the
>doors. The dressers are good and solid, but the draws aren't
>on any track! There's some kind of putty substance that the
>drawers sit on -- no rollers or track on the sides or bottom.
>I don't understand how a company would skimp on a necessity
>like this.
>
>Well, I'm ordering my Bridgeport set this week. Wish me
>luck!
>
>JoAnn (due 7/13/04)

Just an FYI, we have the Legacy Bridgeport crib and it fell apart on us (dropside came apart in many pieces overnight). I know the recall is happening, but I think if I knew about potential manufacturing defects back then, I would have selected another brand . . .

Joanne