PDA

View Full Version : fire retardant on glider???? Toxic and smelly

sdbc
02-13-2004, 12:03 PM
We just got our Shermag glider and it STINKS of fire retardant!!!! Did anyone else have this problem. I've read that the fire retardant used in the US is a carcinogen and neurotoxin, and can increase the risk of breast cancer in women, and interfere with brain development in newborns and fetuses. This fire retardant is very similar to PCBs and has been banned in most European countries. Did anyone else notice this smell on their gliders. Did the smell go away? Even if it does, I may still want to get rid of it. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks.

Sue

anutalp
02-13-2004, 12:13 PM
Do you mind to tell where did you buy the glider?
Thanks
Ana.

sdbc
02-13-2004, 12:24 PM
I got it from babiesrus.com (amazon.com). I contacted the Shermag rep directly, though, and he says all the ones with foam cushions made for the US have it. He says the smell will go away in 2-3 weeks, but I know the residue won't be gone (if it all went away, the cair wouldn't be fire-resistant).

Anyway, reading between the lines: it doesn't matter where you get it from--all brands from all vendors in the US are treated with this stuff. Some may use more than others, but all Shermags would be the same, regardless of where you got it. And I guess the newer the chair (the less time it's been in the warehouse) the more likely you would notice the smell.

anutalp
02-13-2004, 12:39 PM
The reason I asked is that I'm supposed to get one today. I also ordered from BRU at amazon. Which one have you ordered? Do you like it? I've ordered the blue one (just the glider, $299). Did you ordered an ottoman? I was not sure, so decided to wait, maybe I'll manage just with medela nursing chair.
About the smell and toxicity - I guess that it's a standard in US for all gliders, so doesn't matter if it's Shermag, Doutalier or whatever they all will have that coating. I think I just leave it in the room and open the window to let all the smell go. I'm due on February 23, I hope it will be gone till then.
Thanks for your reply,
Ana.

sdbc
02-13-2004, 12:45 PM
That sounds like the same one I got. The blue sports fabric? It was really comfy, but the smell was overwhelming. I didn't get the ottoman, but was going to try it with the nursing stool first and then see if I needed the ottoman. In any case, we're probably going to return it now... Amazon said we could send it back, but we might just return it to the store. At least they have a good return policy. I would never get anything expensive like that from Baby Depot.

anutalp
02-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Do you think that the others don't have it? What about sending the cushions to dry cleaning, maybe it will take it away?
I'll smell mine when it will come today :)
I never heard people complaining on that issue on all Amazon reviews that I've read. Interesting... I own some other Shermag furniture (sofa set) that was made in Canada as well, never noticed any smell. Do you think they put it only on gliders?
Ana.

anutalp
02-13-2004, 01:00 PM
Seems that Shermag and Dutalier have it.
Ana.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-6356306-7292654?asin=B00008US28

sdbc
02-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Not all furniture has it, but in the US, I believe all furniture made with a certain type of foam does. The gliders pretty much all happen to use that type of foam cushion.

anutalp
02-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Just got the glider.
I unpacked it and tried to smell but I can smell just wood. Maybe I'm not sensitive enough.
Well, after I read about this fire retardant,that is practicaly everywhere and they don't have other glider in US I'm going to keep this one. It looks very nice and the color is great.
Ana.

sdbc
02-14-2004, 04:54 AM
I wonder if mine is defective and they put too much on. You wouldn't have to have a sensitive sense of smell to smell it on the one I got.

anutalp
02-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Maybe, cause my DH while assembling it also didn't smell nothing. We put it in the nursery, this morning I checked - no smell, maybe just wood. The glider I ordered is in natural light color with blue fabric.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000059XQJ/102-0017540-8186558?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I1Z4XPDI35N6U4&colid=H793ZRTUEHU7

I think if yours is so stinky maybe you should return it.
Good luck,
Ana.

amykate
02-20-2004, 04:32 PM
I just got my Shermag last week from BRU and it smells fine. It is currently in the babies room airing out with the new paint job, so we are allowing plenty of time to air it out (along with the furniture and mattress). So, if yours really did smell I'd exchange it.