PDA

View Full Version : Now looking at Status (or AP) cribs/furniture...need advice/comments, please!

jennyriver
02-15-2004, 12:58 AM
We went to the discount club and found out they have Status furniture, which gets an A- in the book but some reviews I read here are just so-so. It looks (from the pics) and sounds like it's wel made but having not been able to see it in person makes me nervous. Yet, items I HAVE been abke to see in person aren't much more impressive. Does anyone have Status furniture, either cribs or case pieces and what do you think? We were also able to look at AP Industries items (in a catalong) and I've seen a few case pieces in person but not the cribs. Again, any comments? I'm going CRAZY over here! But thanks!!! :)

jennyriver
02-15-2004, 01:12 AM
The dimensions give in the sales book were smaller than most other cribs (54x27 vs. most other makers being 54 x at least 30). If anyone owns a Status crib, is this an issue? Does a standard size crib mattress fit their cribs? or wis it possible a dimension is missing...I'm confused!

Jennymarie
02-15-2004, 08:12 AM
We considered some pieces by Status furniture. We ultimately decided against it (at least for now), but I I thought the quality was pretty decent overall. Certainly better than the Rumble Tuff stuff that BB raves about.

Good things: I really liked how smoothly the drawers pulled out. The hinges and side drawer glides are really strong and are perfect for kids furniture. The prices are pretty reasonable overall. The drawer boxes are dovetailed. I agree with BB that in looking at juvenile furniture, you really want to pay close attention to how strongly the drawers are constructed. I had furniture with bottom drawer glides as a kid, and the wood rails eventually just cracked because I left the drawers hanging open and generally abused the furniture.

Bad things: I learned that Status really *does* use MDF in many of their case pieces, like BB says. The salesman explained to me that the wood stained finishes use mostly real wood, but if you want painted furniture, many manufacturers are using MDF because over time wood will get small cracks from drying that will show up badly against paint. Only the "best" furniture manufacturers use a technique with real wood that prevents this (who knows what that technique is?) Anyway, the MDF they use looks extremely fine-grained and strong (its not like the glued together sawdust you see in a lot of products), so given the quality of the construction it makes a good piece of furniture overall. That said, MDF is EXTREMELY HEAVY - so keep that in mind if you think the furniture will need to be moved.

Anyway, if you're getting a good price at your discount club, I wouldn't hesitate to buy furniture from Status. You might want to call Status' information line to find out whether the particular pieces you're ordering are made from real wood or MDF.

anukabond
02-16-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi. I ordered a status crib and dresser/changing table two weeks ago only to be called today by the store I ordered it at saying it looks like Status is out of business! The website can no longer be accessed and my store is unable to contact anyone at the company. I am buying the floor model from my store which I love - I found a lot of cribs looked the same to me but the Status really stood out. I'm not sure what else my store has but I can give you their contact info if you're really set on Status.

jennyriver
02-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi - I just emailed the Fields to ask about this very topic! The discount club where I can order Status furniture from hasn't gotten back to me with answers to questions I had about their stuff...I called today and they said Status is a new company they carry and that maybe I should check out some pieces in person at a local seller. So when I called our local sellers I was told that NO ONE can sell Status right now because they are "restructuring"...they said this doesn't mean going bankrupt or closing but rather merging or "something like that". I also visited their (Status) website, which was up and running Saturday and Sunday but down yesterday and today. I called their 888-535-2229 number and could get no one live...AND their voicemail box was full! So, I'm suprer confused now and wouldn't feel comfortable placing an order unless I heard everything was OK. Thanks for the info!

goldiegirl
02-19-2004, 12:03 AM
I ordered a Status crib and dresser/changer from a local baby store here in San Fran. The store just called me today to tell me Status has gone out of business. I was so bummed...I specifically looked up the company and reassured myself with their A rating before purchasing. Hopefully they are just "restructuring" but for now I don't think they are fulfilling any orders. :(