PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to changing table for 6-month old?

CiderLogan
02-16-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello,

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. This is a great resource!

We are about to move into a new home. In our previous home, we used a built-in desk as a changing table (added our own pad, secured with velcro -- it worked great). I am reluctant to buy a changing table for the new place because my almost-6-month-old daughter is getting big, and I may not be use a regular changing table for much longer (or may I?). I was thinking of buying a twin bed to use as a changing area for her (more room for her to wiggle around, yet more comfortable for me than doing it on the floor), but I'm not sure if that's a silly idea or not. The advantage in my mind was that it is at least something we would use later. Is this a crazy idea? Is a changing table still useful at this age? Are there any other ideas I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance!
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

amp
02-16-2004, 12:19 PM
I agree...I don't think I would buy a changing table that is strictly a changing table at this point. A twin bed is obviously a bit over the top for just a changing table, but I do agree that if you think this is something you plan to buy later (perhaps for this child when she is out of the crib), then it totally makes sense to me. We use a hi/lo style dresser/changing table combo, which is another alternative for you. When we are done using it as a changer, we will just put some of his stuff on top of the dresser as you would on any other. Or, you could just go with a low type dresser and put a pad on that. Or, you can simply change baby on the floor. We do this in the downstairs of our house, but it can be a pain to get up and down on the floor. We play down there, but when you change the dipe, you usually need to get right up for hand washing, so it's a PITA, but it works for us when we aren't up in his room.

Momof3Labs
02-16-2004, 01:35 PM
We still use our changing table and plan to for a while longer. Are you planning on more children, so you will use the table again?

Or look for one at a consignment shop - you can often find them for $30-50.

CiderLogan
02-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, the reason I was thinking of buying a bed was that it would be something to use for her later....

But it's useful to hear you can still use a changing table for a one-year-old -- so perhaps I should just buy one. We do plan on having another child.

Thanks so much,
Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/27/03

shindagrl
02-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Keep in mind that this has not been put into action yet, since I'm not due until August, but this is the plan......

We're not going to buy a "changing table" per se, but we're buying a table that's the right height for us, that we'll strap a changing pad to. We found a portable kitchen island at Wal-Mart for about $75, and we'll use that (without the casters on). It's got a butcher-block top that I'll cover with crib-coordinating fabric, put the changing pad on top, and then it has a louvered door with four shelves inside, one drawer, and then two other open shelves. We don't know that we'll use it in the kitchen later, but it will work SOMEWHERE in the house for extra storage. It's a neutral color, but can be painted if we want to.

We choose to do it that way because we didn't want to spend the money on a piece of furniture that had such short-term use, but didn't want to be limited on what style of dresser we had to buy (in order for it to serve double duty).

Just an idea.

Shinda

raynjen
02-23-2004, 06:51 AM
We've never had a 'real' changing table yet. First we used a dining room buffet with the changing pad fixed to it. When we moved we used a window seat (a very high one) for awhile. Now we have a set up in the closets where we have a piece of plywood mounted on top of two sets of drawers. We usually change our daughter there whenever we are changing clothes (PJs to regular clothes, etc.) otherwise we use the couch.

Having said that, I think that you will need a set place that is sturdy because you will be going through an extremely squrimy phase soon. Generally when your baby starts to crawl they no longer want to sit still for changes. At that point, depending on your parenting style, you will either insist on them holding still or learn to dipe a moving object.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

LittleStar03
02-23-2004, 08:42 PM
We use the changing table on the pack-n-play for our DD, who's 6 months.

We recently stayed with my parents for a month over the holidays, and we didn't have a changing table there -- we used the floor, which I wasn't too thrilled about, but as it turns out, it wasn't so bad.

You can also use the bed or the couch. We have a dresser with a flat area on top for a changing table, and we've never used it.

I wouldn't buy a twin just to use for changes, but it's definitely something that you'll probably use in the future when she's ready for a bed, so it's not a bad idea.

jinboston
03-04-2004, 09:33 PM
I just posted a reply to a similar question. Don't buy a changing table. I would use the bed or ideally, use a dresser instead. The changing table was the biggest waste of $$. It's the only purchase that I made that I really regret. I could have really used a dresser with drawers for all of her clothes instead of the baskets the go under the table.

cara1
03-05-2004, 05:14 PM
We have a dresser that's a good height for a changing table. And DS is two. So I suspect you'll be changing diapers for a while to come. You may as well be comfortable doing it!