PDA

View Full Version : Childcraft / Legacy Cribs - Beware! Recall info . . .

joliu10
02-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I purchased a Legacy crib about a year ago for our son. We were happy with it until last month when the crib literally fell apart. At first, I noticed that one of the slabs on the dropside had loosened a 1/2 inch from the top (as if it were being unglued). I called the store where we made the crib purchase and were told that it was a common problem and that they would have a replacement dropside to us in 2 weeks time. Later in the week, I heard my son cry in the morning and when I arrived at his room, I found the slabs of the dropside in pieces (some on the floor, others dangling), and my son's head sticking out (and stuck between some existing slabs). Luckily, my son was not injured. My husband and I were shocked and immediately called the store and after some yelling, we finally got them to get us a replacement dropside the same day. Since this was a Saturday, we weren't able to speak to Childcraft till the following Monday. We got immediate attention, and the President of Childcraft called us a few days later to apologize. We returned the defective dropside to Childcraft for them to investigate what had happened. After a few weeks had passed, I called to follow up and learned that our dropside was never glued nor nailed (using nail pins) at all (!!). Apparently, they estimate that some 3,000 cribs may have the same problem. Childcraft says they have reported the defect to the Consumer Product Safety Commission but that they are not exactly sure when the recall will be announced. I hope word gets out quickly and that parents are made aware of this potentially dangerous defect.

After this experience, I doubt I will ever buy another Childcraft product. I particularly didn't like the President's excuse that "unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world . . . mistakes happen." Not a mistake, but a gross error in my opinion.

Sorry this was so long,
Joanne

joliu10
02-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I just saw from someone's post below that the recall notice was issued yesterday.