PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use a dresser for a changing area?

hellosmiletoday
03-01-2004, 01:28 PM
I'm considering purchasing the ethan allen crib in the antique white finish. I hate to spend the extra money, but we really liked the color. Plus I can get a good quality dresser/changing table to match.

We are debating between getting the changing table unit that has one drawer and two shelves with a removable changing top (i.e. can convert dresser), or the three-drawer dresser, that provides more dust-free storage space, but is not designed as a changing area. Both are the same price.

So my question is -- is using a dresser or dedicated changing table really useful, and for how long -- wont the baby get to big or move too much. My mom recommended using the crib to change the baby, and thinks its too dangerous to use either a changing table or a dresser.

Any thoughts on ethan allen? The crib is so expensive, but we really like it more than anything else, and the dresser is only about $100 more than the ones at BRU.

Imperia
03-01-2004, 01:35 PM
We have a combo dresser/changing table and I would never want to be without it (granted my baby is only 5 weeks old, but iti's terribly handy. I wouldn't wantn to change her in the crib because babies often pee (especially boys!) or poop when you are in teh midst of changing them and even if you use a lap pad it can get all over the place which would force you to change the sheets and possibly even wash the bumpers etc. Many folks here said they could not live without their changing tables even though some people consider them an "extra" I do not. As for how long they are useful...well that depends on your baby, plenty of people here are using them into the second year of the baby's life. An option you may want to consider is a changing table topper for your dresser. They are usually a wooden piece that you can place onto of any dresser, add a pad and voila instant changing table. One caveat though, it depends on how high the dresser top is, how comfortable this will be for you. The whole point of a changing table is comfort (ie to keep you from straining your back as you bend over).

Imperia

papal
03-01-2004, 02:24 PM
I honestly cannot imagine changing the baby in the crib.. that would be really hard on your back. And in the beginning you do countless diaper changes in a day.. plus you are recovering from the delivery.. you do not want added stress on your back.
I have a changing table/dresser combo (Forever Mine) and i cannot imagine what i would have done without it.. it makes changing the baby really convenient.. plus since the dresser is just below.. you can grab a change of clothes or a washcloth really easily. I would definitely recommend getting one.

ETA: I was just looking at my crib.. and with the mattress at the lowest setting and the crib rail down, it would be nearly impossible to change the baby in there.. very awkward in the least.

esianoyam3
03-01-2004, 03:00 PM
We have a six drawer dresser that doubles as a changing station. The changing pad has straps that you can bolt into the wall, so it's not going to fall off the dresser. Of course, whether you use a combo unit or a dresser, you still have to be right next to the baby at all times so they don't roll off the changing pad.

I love using the dresser as a changing area. It's the perfect height, and it's not a combo unit, so it won't scream "baby" when dd is too old for diapers.

I can't imagine using the crib to change dd's diapers. Of course, a lot of times, I'll just change her wherever I am (on a bed, a couch, the floor) using the changing pad from her diaper bag -- it's easier than always having to take her to the nursery.

HTH

amp
03-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I would have to agree w/ everyone else on this one. We have a combo dresser changing table and it's the best! We use it constantly, and I cannot imagine trying to change the baby in the crib. Not to mention the times DS has peed while being changed, or the times the poop comes out the top of the dipe. Then I'd have to change the crib sheet too!

ETA: We just use a contoured changing pad (from BRU) on top. DH secured it to the back of the dresser. It also has a strap you are supposed to use to secure the baby while changing him. We use it some of the time, particularly when he is very squirmy. I feel pretty safe having him up there, as my hands are on him at all times. And it's just the right height for me, so it doesn't kill my back. And all the diapering supplies are right there in the drawer.

Jennymarie
03-01-2004, 11:26 PM
I have heard some people say that as their kids got older and more squirmy, it was nice to have a table with elevated sides rather than just a changing pad attached to a dresser. We decided on a separate changing table for this reason -- but I can't tell you how it works yet, since baby hasn't arrived.

In choosing furniture for the nursery, I think its important to keep in mind that you're furnishing a nursery for the short-term, but we'll be furnishing a big-kids room for the long term. Think about what your storage needs will be now and in the future. If you get the three drawer dresser, that's a dresser you won't need to buy in the future. The one with only a single drawer and shelves sounds kind of versatile, but my thought would be that you would still want a bookshelf for a kids room later on, and you'd probably have to get a pretty large chest of drawers later on to compensate for the lack of drawer space in this unit. So this open-space unit might not be as good of a deal or as versatile as it seems.

We also got an expensive crib (for looks, stability and ease of use of the drop-side), but since we have adequate closet space with shalving, we just bought an inexpensive changing table and decided to wait on the case pieces till we're ready to furnish and decorate a "big-kids room." Really, a basic changing table isn't that expensive, and it doesn't have to be as well made as a dresser or a crib (it doesn't have moving parts like a rail or drawers, and it will only be used for a short time anyway). I think that this assures us that we will eventually get kids furniture that will fit our spaces well, and also assures that we will be able to buy matching pieces when the time comes without fear that they will discontinue the line that we only have a dresser for.

COElizabeth
03-02-2004, 12:48 AM
We have a regular dresser (from Ethan Allen, actually) for James' clothes and have a changing pad on top that has a strap that screws into the back of the dresser. I chose this dresser because it goes with the crib and also with our bedroom furniture, so if we ever buy completely different furniture for DS, I will just use the dresser in my room. I agree that it would be a pain (literally and figuratively) to change your baby in the crib all the time. As long as the dresser is a comfortable height, you should be fine. You need to stay with the baby regardless of what changing table arrangement you have, so I would just go with the one you like the best. Oh, and my son is 17 months old and still has all his diaper changes and clothing changes on the changing pad. He is super squirmy, but he's just as bad on the ground, and at least this way my back doesn't hurt as I pin him down! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

hellosmiletoday
03-02-2004, 09:34 AM
We checked with the other grandmother-to-be, who also recommends changing in the crib or on the floor, yet we agree with everyone else on the board who think it would be quite difficult.

So we are probably going to get the dresser and strap on the "changing pad" that was suggested (the dresser is a few inches shorter than the dedicated changing table, but I'm short too). This way we have both options open, and more storage space. The great thing about the ethan allen piece is that I like it enough to keep permanently, moving it to a family room in the future.

Maybe cribs were designed differently back when I was born, making it easier to use it for changing the baby????? Neither of the grandmothers-to-be understand what exactly is a "changing table" or a dresser with a "changing pad". Maybe we'll have them give us a demonstration when the baby is born:)

amp
03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
Either take them to a baby store, like BRU or USA Baby, or show them a catalog or magazine. Anything that sells baby furniture, or even an ad in a magazine, or an article on nurseries, will show changing tables or dressers w/ changing pads on them.

jinboston
03-04-2004, 09:23 PM
There's no way you'll want to change the baby in the crib OR on the floor for all of the reasons that the others have mentioned. I cannot stress to you the importance of having everything (daipers, cream, wipes) within arms reach in a permanent location so that you automatically know where the stuff is so you don't have to take your eyes off the baby.

Things can get pretty messy and wild (think poop EVERYWHERE and a HYSTERICAL baby)...plus, in the middle of the night (12am, 2am, 4am.....) the last thing you're going to want to do is go searching for wipes, etc.

Get the dresser. It's fine. It will work. Keep all the stuff within arm's reach in a basket or in a drawer. I went against what the authors of the book suggested and got myself a changing table and I would give ANYTHING to go back and change that decision. They are pretty much a waste, and if I could do it all over again, I would do exactly what you are doing.

csequine
03-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I think you have gotten some great advice.

When my DD was born we had a changing table - one with elevated sides. We use a contour pad on top. The changing table was upstairs in the babies room.

As we were rearranging some furniture after her arrival ( we bought a new bedroom suit) and were moving some of our old stuff to storage we had a time when a large "bureau" type dresser was sitting in the dining room waiting to be stored. We used it a couple of times to change her and pretty soon we figured this was a great thing- a nice changing area in the main part of the house. We moved the dresser to an unused area and set it up with a nice quilt, a contoured pad and baskets. Add that to the drawers and it's perfect. We never tacked anything down but you should never be far enough away that you don't have a hand on the baby anyways. I would say the large majority of her changes have been on that table with only night time ones on the changing table in her room. It's worked great for us.

Good Luck

gisele
03-09-2004, 07:01 PM
You don't want to change baby where she/he sleeps.

It's the middle of the night, baby needs a diaper change. You're breastfeeding. You change the baby in the crib and take off the diaper. Suddenly baby poop projectiles and shoots out. Then the pee followup. Poop is now on the sheets and bumper. The sheets are wet from the pee. Now you have the clean and change the crib bedding.

Nuff said!