PDA

View Full Version : Did we make a mistake ordering a Legacy crib? See recall...

sanggol
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
The crib we ordered isn't the one that was mentioned in the recall, but we almost bought one that was.

Did we make a mistake? Should we have gone w/a different crib? Please I need some reassurance that we just didn't buy a death trap. Yes, you guessed it...first time mommy.

Thanks,
Anna

Here's the link if anyone is interested.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml04/04087.html

Rikkele
03-10-2004, 04:03 PM
We also ordered a Legacy crib not involved in the recall and I have wondered the same thing. Have not picked it up yet so have not used it. However, I have reassured myself with the knowledge that Child Craft/Legacy have a solid reputation and have made quality cribs for years. I think it's inevitable that any company that makes products for infants/children will have a recall at some point. What's also important is how the recall is handled and if the problem is corrected quickly and efficiently. NOt sure what else to say about it except that hopefully it is an isolated problem. I am just trying to reassure myself (and you too) since there are so many things to worry about as a first time mom-to-be and I can't even imagine starting the process of looking for a crib all over again! Plus I really like the Legacy crib I picked out! I'm sure there's nothing to worry about....

1st time mom-to-be
Due 5/20/04

BabyMakesThree
03-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Don't worry - I asked a sales rep at a baby furniture store last week and he said that the models that were recalled were manufactured between 2002 and 2003. Since baby furniture stores don't carry the cribs in stock, all cribs recently ordered would be manufactured and delivered with the problem that caused the recall already fixed.

Matt2395
03-15-2004, 07:23 PM
>Don't worry - I asked a sales rep at a baby furniture store
>last week and he said that the models that were recalled were
>manufactured between 2002 and 2003. Since baby furniture
>stores don't carry the cribs in stock, all cribs recently
>ordered would be manufactured and delivered with the problem
>that caused the recall already fixed.

BabyMakesThree, no offense, but your sales rep has given you incorrect, misleading and potentially dangerous information. Yes, the recalled cribs were "manufactured" between 2002 and 2003, but this does not mean that they were not "sold" recently. According to the Childcraft website, the cribs were "manufactured" in China between March 2002 and March 2003, but were "sold" in the US between March 2002 and January 2004. As such, a crib ordered recently could have the defect and all owners of this model of crib should check to confirm that their crib is not part of the recall (and not rely on the statements of an uninformed sales rep trying to make another sale on commission or a posting they read on a usually reliable message board).

How do I know all of this? My wife and I purchased one of these cribs in January 2004 and it was manufactured in China in March 2003 and, therefore, subject to the recall (even though, like you said, the crib is not carried in stock and we had to wait 8 weeks for delivery). I would hate for someone in the exact same circumstances to have read your message and assumed that they were free and clear and had nothing to worry about.

Sorry to come down on you so hard, but this really could be life and death here for someone's baby. In the future, be absolutely 100% positive you know what you're talking about before you post something like "Don't worry".

God bless and be safe.

BabyMakesThree
03-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Point well taken. You are absolutely right. When you found out your crib was manufactured during the "danger zone" period, what did you do?