PDA

View Full Version : How to use waterproof crib pads?

vickip
03-14-2004, 02:59 PM
I'm a little confused on how to use the waterproof crib pads. They were recommended on the Babies R Us registry list, so I got some...but do they go between the mattress pad and the sheet? On top of the sheet? Between the mattress and mattress pad?

I'm also concerned that they will hamper aeration and breathing of the sheets.

Any help appreciated!
Vicki

ohiomom
03-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I always use mine on top of the sheet -- mine are full size and fit to edge of mattress. Easier to change than the whole sheet. Might not be the "right" way, but works for us.

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

cric
03-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Are you refering to the Ultimate Crib Sheet? If so, that goes on top of the sheets. The idea is that if there is a diaper blow out in the niddle of the night, you don't have to change the whole bed - just the sheet. Other waterproof things I've seen are like mattress pads that go under.

We have an UCS, but no blow outs yet. He did have a few nights were he sweat a lot, and this also helped protect the new sheets.

Not sure of the aeration & breathing of the sheets....

amp
03-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Is it a sheet saver type pad? We use a waterproof mattress pad over the mattress, then the crib sheet and for several months we used sheet saver pads over the sheet but under baby's head or rear (when he was little, both ends were on it at the same time). This will help keep you from having the change the whole sheet or mattress pad everytime baby spits up, drools or has a bit of a leaky diaper. They are certainly not necessary, but are very useful when baby is still fairly immobile.

Eloise36
03-15-2004, 10:53 PM
We have an Ultimate Crib Sheet that we use on top of the crib sheet. It's like a soft padded sheet with a waterproof vinyl (?) layer on the bottom. It's been handy on the two occasions we had nighttime leaks because it's easy to just remove the UCS and have a dry crib sheet for DS. I haven't notice any issues with aeration and breathing of the sheets. In general, DS sweats a lot, but he doesn't seem to sweat any more on the UCS vs. a crib sheet. In addition, we lay DS' head on a small/thin cloth diaper when he sleeps in his crib, which keeps his scalp dry. He has a very sweaty scalp :)

mcades
03-17-2004, 03:03 AM
We use lots of those square waterproof pads... on top of crib sheets, on top of contour changing table pad covers, on top of pack-n-play changing table, on our bed for middle of the night nursings & more! We have 2 types: ones that are fuzzy on one side & waterproof vinyl(?) on the other side, and ones that are fuzzy on both sides with little patterns on them (bears?). I found that the ones that are not reversible got my DS's too sweaty in the crib, but have been fine for the changing tables. In general, these pads were a godsend as my first had messy reflux - saved us many a sheet-changing!

~Michelle

ipek
01-14-2005, 03:21 PM
What brands do you use and recommend for those pads?

lizajane
01-15-2005, 09:54 AM
i like the crib pads/lap pads from k-mart the best! the martha stewart everyday ones. the BRU ones are really plasticy and ick.