PDA

View Full Version : Sorelle Crib Not Made in Italy, Not Beech. Should I return?

leslieinmaryland
03-15-2004, 12:33 PM
I just got my Sorelle Rita crib and learned from a huge sticker on it that it is made in Latvia. Not only that, but a call to the people at Sorelle also confirmed it's not made of beech but rather birch. (The spokesperson said no one had complained so far.) I pointed out that everyone thinks Sorelle cribs are made of beech, but he said that wasn't true and that the catalogs that the furniture dealers receive probably have the wrong information in them because they've not updated them in years. He said birch was a hard wood, though not as strong or attractive as beech.

Does anyone think I should return this crib?

angusmom
03-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Just my opinion but I don't think you should necessarily return it. I'd consider the following things:

1. Were you specifically promised when you bought the item it was made in Italy? Or was that just assumed?
2. Were you specifically promised when you bought the item it was made of birch? This was printed in their catalog?

If yes to both the above questions, it is not right for the company to market the product as one thing and sell another. However. . .

3. Does it look like what was pictured and of the quality you expected? If so, then the hassle of the return is probably more stress than you need. The product will meet all safety standards and is probably good quality for the price. So keep it and enjoy unless there is some undying reason you needed it to be made in Italy and needed it to be birch (such as if someone in the house has an allergy to beech).

bambipetals
03-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Hi there,

Just wanted to add my bit of info. The BB book says that Sorelle cribs are made out of beech. However, I always thought that was a misprint because the salesperson at BRU had told me that it was birch (Golden Baby crib). But I can see how they sound familiar.

Another boutique place had told me birch too. Also, the website that I bought it from (AAFES...military store) listed the crib as "European-styled crib is custom-made of solid birch hardwood".

But if you do an internet search on that crib...I have seen it described as birch at some website and beech on others. It is confusing!

I also don't necessarily think you should return it unless the wood and the Latvia really bug you. Regardless, I still think this crib is very sturdy and well made.

hellosmiletoday
03-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Along the same lines...

When I was looking at cribs, someone told me that beech, the wood that Pali cribs are made out of, is the same as maple...basically that the Italians and the Americans call their trees by different names. I always thought they were different trees, and the beech to me seemed to have more grain than maple...so I wonder if anyone can clear this up!

Seems to me that if you like the crib, you should keep it...but if not, they should honor a "free" return (make sure you have a backup that will arrive in time).

mominjune
03-16-2004, 01:56 AM
I found your post interesting b/c we just put together our Sorelle Rita crib yesterday. I saw the Latvia sticker, but didn't really think too much about it. I went back to the website I bought it from (babyage.com) and it did say that it was made of European birch hardwood. My main criteria was one made of a hardwood, so I'm not too sure of the differences btwn beech and birch.

The main reason I am replying however, is that I noticed you posted on a different thread saying that yours didn't come with wheels like you were expecting. Our crib has wheels, and it is new. My understanding is that our crib was shipped from the manufacturer warehouse (rather than babyage.com) and it was only within the last week. So I thought that was unusual that yours didn't. I'm not sure if this is a big issue for you, but you should still be able to get one with wheels? I just went to go feel the finish on our crib and it feels pretty smooth. I guess it could be smoother, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Just for reference, I bought mine sight unseen for $229, no tax and $3.95 shipping. I was just happy it arrived with all the pieces intact, with all the correct parts. We haven't used it yet, the rail seems a little noisy, but I'm hoping that will improve once the mattress and bedding is on there. It would just be way too much hassle for me to return or exchange b/c I bought mine online. Good luck with deciding, let us know what you decide.

leslieinmaryland
03-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to keep the crib as it is too much hassle to return. I think what annoyed me most about the whole experience was the Sorelle customer service guy telling me that it's the "lower end" cribs that are made of birch and made in Latvia. He didn't go on to explain what he meant by lower end, but it made me feel horrible, like I was putting my baby in a cheap or dangerous crib.

Thanks also for the post about wheels coming with the crib. I called the vendor and they are sending some to me.

Best of luck to all you mommies out there and thanks again for your responses.