PDA

View Full Version : Review of Delta 3-in-1 "Newport" Crib -- $120 at Target.com (on sale now for $107!)

HoneymoonBaby
03-20-2004, 07:57 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DG4QN.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_6/601-0147651-3388126?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0000DG4QN

Well, I ordered this crib about a week and a half ago and it arrived yesterday. It looks great in Ian's nursery! (I'll post nursery pics when we finally pick the right paint color -- there's about four different colors on the wall right now and it looks ridiculous!).

Baby Bargains gives Delta cribs a B- grade because of three issues -- exposed hardware, a wooden (instead of metal spring) platform, and a tricky drop-side release mechanism that takes two hands to operate.

Well, the Newport crib has a new easy one-handed drop-side release (it's a typical knee-push release), so, that addresses that issue. I don't particulary care about exposed hardware, either. The hardware is hardly noticeable on this crib, anyway -- it, like everything else on the crib, is white, so it blends in well. As for the wooden platform, it seems extremely sturdy. I'm not convinced of Delta's claim that it's "better for the back" than springs, but I don't think it's any WORSE for the back, either. I can imagine Ian as a 20-pound toddler jumping on it safely with no problem at all, and that's what's important to me (safety). The crib is designed to be used as a toddler bed and then a love seat for older kids later on, so I think it's rated to a pretty high weight. It really does seem quite solid.

The crib is made of wood, though I don't know what kind of wood, and I suspect it's not solid hardwood or anything luxe like that. This is not a crib you are going to hand down through generations -- but for $120, I hope no one is expecting an heirloom! I would fully expect this crib to last through at least two kids, though.

Target was very prompt with the shipping of Ian's crib, and kept me updated as to the shipping status at all times. Shipping cost only $20, probably because the crib only weighs 60 lbs. UPS beat the crap out of the box during shipping, though -- it was completely shredded by the time we received it. The crib itself was fine, thank God, but it was actually EXPOSED by the gaping holes in the box. Luckily, there are no little parts to this crib to fall out of the packaging and get lost, so we know everything made it to us. I don't know if Target offers an upgrade to FedEx, but if they do, it might be worth the extra expense. You'd get your crib faster and with less damage to the packaging.

This crib was EXTREMELY easy to assemble. You don't need a single tool -- everything just slides and locks into place. It took us about 5 minutes to get it put together. We left the casters off the bottom of the crib because I think it looks better that way, though. If you added the casters, I imagine you would add a couple of minutes to the assembly time.

My one complaint about the crib may actually be a complaint about the Target/Kolcraft foam mattress everyone raves about (and we ordered) . . . it doesn't fit perfectly in the crib. Lengthwise, it's just right, but it's a fraction of an inch too wide, and we have to really wedge it in there to get it flat against the platform. This will no doubt be a pain in the ass when we need to change the sheets, but since we're also using a bumper, changing the sheets was going to be a pain in the ass, anyway.

Anyway, overall, I'm quite happy with the appearance and quality of the Delta Newport crib, especially for the extremely low price. Spending so little on a crib enabled me to go pretty high-end on lots of other things (Britax carseat, Inglesina stroller, a nice nursing chair), so I'm really glad I chose to give Delta a chance. Really, the crib seems as nice or nicer than many of the $299-350 cribs at Babies R Us, for even less money. Of course, there's no comparison to the super high-end European cribs, but again, I wasn't looking for an heirloom -- just something to last my kid until he's big enough for a real bed.

Hope this helps someone -- the crib is on sale for $107 at Target right now, so it's a real bargain. I spent the full price of $120 plus $20 shipping ($140 total), and I think I got a terrific deal.

JenaW
04-13-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the review. We are looking for a convertible crib that will not break the bank since baby number two is on the way and Carter will only be 17mons when he/she arrives. Do you know if they have this in the store? It isn't on sale anymore, but it still looks like a great deal.

Thanks!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03

Sulla
04-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for this...I really like the Delta "Capri" which is very similar and apparently only available from Target and Walmart...glad to hear you liked it so much.

luvtoshop
04-18-2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the review. I am also looking for a second crib for baby #2.