PDA

View Full Version : Twin bed in nursery--need advice

acrazy
03-22-2004, 03:08 AM
This isn't about a product exactly but thought someone might have some good advice.

I currently have a twin bed in what will be the baby's room (former guest room). I can't decide whether to keep it in there or get rid of it once it becomes the nursery. It's a small room. It will fit along with the crib and dresser but it'll be a little bit tight. On the one hand I like the idea of having just the crib and dresser and some shelves and keep it as open as possible but then I wonder if it would be more practical to keep it there. Thoughts?

HallsofVA
03-22-2004, 09:14 AM
We purchased a twin mattress set for our nursery. We have the crib and a full size dresser against 1 wall, and the bed against the opposite wall, with my glider and ottoman across the back wall of the room (by the window). We also had a bassinet next to the crib early on, and held off moving the glider in until he was out of the bassinet. It is very tight in there, but we enjoy having the extra room to sit on, fold clothes on, or change the baby on. There is still "enough" room to lay down a play mat for tummy time. Early on, when I was nursing primarily using the football hold, I did all of my nursing sitting on the twin bed. It's also nice to have the bed to lay on, either for a quick nap when he won't quite settle down for the night, or to nurse lying down.

sbjf
03-22-2004, 03:02 PM
I agree that it's nice to have a twin bed in there, but we took ours out for a couple of reasons.

1. We decided we wanted the extra space so that we could fit the rocker in the corner and still have room for either a toy chest or whatever.

2. I couldn't deal with trying to coordinate one more thing in the room, lol! I didn't want to be bothered trying to find just the right quilt/comforter set for that bed.

AvasMama
03-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi,
We also have a twin bed in the nursery. Other than the changing table, so far it has gotten the most use of anything in the room (Ava is still sleeping in a cradle in our room). I sit on it to pump every morning, fold clothes on it, and take occasional naps on it. It's a great place to sit with Ava if she is up at night and we don't want to disturb my husband.

Another reason I left it there was that it means extra guest space. We have a separate guest room with a double bed, but the twin bed in the nursery has already come in handy when we had several visitors at once.

--Robyn

Ava 1-15-04

mamaharsh
03-23-2004, 05:35 PM
We kept a double bed in my son's nursery. From day 1, it was probably the most useful piece of furniture. I used it to change him on most of the time, I slept in it on nights when he was waking frequently and I didn't want to wake DH, he and I slept in it on nights when he needed to be held to sleep... Now that he's 2.5, it's his bed. I never regretted keeping it in there. It certainly has made the room cramped, but we are only in there to sleep and change diapers, so it wasn't a big deal.

HTH,
Sara, mama to Nathaniel (10/01)

lmariana
03-23-2004, 06:31 PM
We have a twin bed in Gabriel's nursery along with his crib, the glider, a dresser, nightstand, bookcase, diaper pail, etc. For us the twin bed in there has been a life saver. Our master bedroom is on the main floor and the other bedrooms are upstairs, so during those late night feedings and sleepless nights, being able to crash in there instead of running up and down the stairs was wonderful!

Our nursery has the space for it though. If it was smaller, I probably would have passed on it and stored it in the basement.

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003